Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with dispute comment and closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with dispute comment and closing

I have been clearing up several negative items on my credit report for the past 6 months.  Originally there were 10 negative accounts that I was unfamiliar with so I disputed all of them with the credit bureaus.  Using advice I found on MyFICO I was able to clear up all but two accounts (both collection accounts - Midland $1300 amd RJ
M $400) and my scores have increased by approximately 60 points and I am in the process of qualifying for a mortgage. 

Here is my problem.  The remaining two accounts have a comment that says "account information disputed by consumer".  My lender told me that we cannot go to underwriting with any disputes on my credit report.  On 9/3/10 I contacted all three credit bureaus and requested that the comments be removed and that I was not disputing these items any longer.  This week my lender ran my report again and the dispute comments were still there on EQF and EXP.  I called and asked them why they were not removed and they stated that the comment was placed by the creditor.  I am not sure why the creditor would make this statement?  Has anyone seen this before?

I want to close on the mortgage by the end of November (8 weeks) and I need to have these two accounts cleared up before I can do that.  Originally, the plan was to pay the collection accounts at closing to satisfy the lender and not take a hit to my scores.  Now it appears that I will need to pay these to get the dispute comment removed from my credit reprot but I am worried that this will drop my scores. 

I have sent several PFD letters by certified mail to both agencies with no response.  I have even sent emails based on posts from this website where others have had success getting help.  I am just not getting any responses from Midland and RJM and don't know what to do.  I can pay both off now but won't that drop my scores?

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with dispute comment and closing

I had this same thing happen with my reports having the comment "account disputed by consumer" something to that effect. I called Experian and explained I had no disputes and I was the consumer yada  yada and it was taken off within 24 hours. Equifax gave me the same line - oh  it was put on there by the company we cannot remove it till they tell us too, they report some code... So I called the company and had them send me a letter (faxed) stating I had no open disputes. I faxed this to credit bureaus Transunion removed it too but Equifax was the lone hold out no matter how many times I called and faxed to no avail were they removing this it seemed, they kept wanting me to open up a new dispute for this dispute???? I gave the letters (from company) and all my proof of attempting to solve this to loan guy and all went well I closed with no issues 5 months ago. (only last month did Equifax finally remove the disputed comments)  

GOOD LUCK!         

Message 2 of 4
JGeuy
Valued Member

I have the same issue and the problem I am running into is the same thing, in order to remove the comments, "a reinvestigation must be opened, takes 30 days, blah blah blah".... I am also trying to close on a house, and this is delaying it. I read here that people have called and had the comments removed immediately, but this is not the case for me. Is there some special number I can call? I have faxed letters to all three CRAs but am stuck in limbo.

Any advice?

Original Starting Score:553
Current Score: TU 658 EQ 658 EX 632
Goal Score: 700
PLAN TO GARDEN FOR ALL OF 2013 !

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got burned by the "dispute" comments on my CR when I was trying to get pre-approved in october. 

When the comments were brought to my attention by the LO, I planned a two-prong approach.  First, i contacted all of the CRA's.  EX deleted the dispute comment immediately.  EQ and TU did not.

Second, I called the creditor and requested that they immediately remove the dipute comments from my CR's, with a letter confirming this was done.  Once I received the letter, I faxed/emailed them to EQ and TU. I would not recommend starting another "dispute" to remove a "dispute" as this only makes things more complicated.  I worked around this by just providing them the letter to delete the comment.  Of course, I don't know what ultimately worked, the update from the creditor or the letters to the CRAs but either way it happend relatively quick.

All in all, I got these comments deleted over the weekend.  I started on Thursday 10/14 and by Monday 10/18 they were all gone and I got my preapproval.

If you're persistent but respectful with all parties involved it's not that bad. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.