Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helpe me understand my rate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpe me understand my rate

Ok so when I applied for a pre approval the rate was 4.62 for 100% Financing and that's what I got it. Three days after the rates dropped to 4.5 and its being stable for the last 2 weeks.

So my question is, when I lock my rate, will I be stuck with 4.62 or I will be able to lock at 4.5

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Helpe me understand my rate

I believe you can ask for whats called a rapid rescore before close but you may be locked into that rate.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rate you qualify for will change with the market and of course if your score changes. Rates have been trending down recently so you should be seeing a lower rate than your original offer
Message 3 of 8
vinblastine
Valued Member

Make sure that your APR is the same as your interest rate. Bad loans will bundle in fees and closing costs which is reflected in a higher APR. Good loans, they are exactly the same amount.

Message 4 of 8
kc0039
Established Contributor

@vinblastine wrote:

Make sure that your APR is the same as your interest rate. Bad loans will bundle in fees and closing costs which is reflected in a higher APR. Good loans, they are exactly the same amount.

IF you have the cash to pay for all the fees, then the APR will match the interest rate. Mortgage insurance, if there is mortgage insurance, will make the APR jump.

Licensed in IL
Message 5 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

when you lock, you lock at market rates that day. not at the rate you were pre-approved on

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 8
vinblastine
Valued Member

Re: Help me understand my rate

Always ask for lender credits. My last 2 refinances only cost me about $800 at closing for a $240K loan. 30 yr fixed at 3%. I timed the market just right.

Message 7 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Help me understand my rate

@vinblastine wrote:

Always ask for lender credits. My last 2 refinances only cost me about $800 at closing for a $240K loan. 30 yr fixed at 3%. I timed the market just right.

you pay for lender credits in a higher rate over the life of the loan.

good short term strategy. bad long term strategy

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.