cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I want to apply for a government job in the near futu...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I want to apply for a government job in the near futu...

Hi, I want to apply for a government job in the near future.  One thing that will disqualify me is that if I have defaulted on my student loan.

I did have late payments on my student loan up to 120 days, on 2004 my state refund was intercepted and paid my overdue that brought me to current.  Its been 3 years that i have no late payment since.

All my credit bearaue states that I dont have any "default" records nor collection or defaulted status on my student loan. 

I wrote to my student loan and this is what they said:

Dear Mr. X

A definition for the word "default" is "to fail to pay money when it is
due".  Late payments on a loan are considered defaulted payments.  The
SUNY SLSC had previously reported your loan account, by electronic file,
to the three major credit bureaus as 30, 60, 90, and 120 days past due.

How the credit bureaus have notated your loan account, whether they
worded the past due payments as "delinquent" or "defaulted", would be
their decision.  I suggest you contact your local credit bureau agency
and review your credit profile to confirm how the past due payments are
being reported. 

So yes I did have late payments on my sutdent loan but did my Loan "DEFAULTED" that I will not be considered in to qualify for the job?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ronq
Regular Contributor

Re: Hi, I want to apply for a government job in the near futu...

Are you talking about a Federal job or local/state job?
EX. 780 TU 794.
Message 2 of 5
ronq
Regular Contributor

I can only speak for Federal jobs. I am a current federal employee and a supervisor. We do not run a credit check as part of employment usually only a background check, however if you are in a job that requires a security clearance than yes they do pull a CR on you . It is mainly to see if you are in a position credit wise that you could become vulnerable. IE lots of debt, living beyond your means ect. Being late on your student loans will not disqualify you, that is for people that had federally backed student loans and just decided that they didn't need to pay it. Hope this helps. I will try to answer any questions you have.
EX. 780 TU 794.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also a fed and supervisor.  I disagree with the comment made before that credit is only checked for a security clearance.  Credit is checked for some background investigations, and my understanding is that a new hire cannot be currently in default on federal debt or federally backed debt.  That is, a new fed employee could have been in default in the past but must have made payment arrangements and be current on his/her federally backed loans.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

To have the status of a SL put in to "Default" it has to be 6 months past due.

6-9 months of on time payments will automatically change the status to "Current/OK"

From what you have stated you are not in default on your SL's. Some old late payments- yes

Message Edited by Timothy on 08-25-2007 12:30 PM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.