Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High DTI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

High DTI

Has anyone recently gotten an FHA or Fannie/Freddie loan with high DTI? and by high I mean over 50%. I'm afraid when we go to get a loan, even after paying of our CC substantially we won't qualify. Do lenders look at CC debt differently then an auto loan? Most of our debt is going to be auto loans and Mortgage loans. I would hate to have to wait until I pay off my cars in order to get a loan.....

jv
Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: High DTI

Closed!!!!  We found a Foreclosure in the area we wanted for VERY cheap!  applied with my wife who has mid to high 600 scores.  My scores are in low 700s and 1 in 690s.  We have a rental that we've been renting since May of last year.  Our DTI ended up being low 40s backend.  Very exciting!  now we just need to bid our time to get a construction loan to fixer up!

Message 20 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

johnnyv5 wrote:
Has anyone recently gotten an FHA or Fannie/Freddie loan with high DTI? and by high I mean over 50%. I'm afraid when we go to get a loan, even after paying of our CC substantially we won't qualify. Do lenders look at CC debt differently then an auto loan? Most of our debt is going to be auto loans and Mortgage loans. I would hate to have to wait until I pay off my cars in order to get a loan.....

jv

debt is debt they add all of your minimum monthly payments and compare it to your income for your dti.  The only thing different is that for most conventional loans if your auto or personal loans have 8 payments or less, they do not include those in your dti.  Call the bank or broker you would likely apply with to find out their policies because they can change and/or add their own guidelines to fha.  I will assume your car payments are a lot more than your monthly credit card payment so why not pay the cars down to 8 payments or less
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our DTI is at 48%. The only debt we have is our auto loan and in order to qualify for our home loan we have to pay it off by close of escrow. 

Message Edited by legallyblonde on 09-12-2008 11:45 AM
Message 3 of 21
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

by 'over 50%'
do you mean 51 or 52 or 65?

refi the cars?
Retired Lender
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:
by 'over 50%'
do you mean 51 or 52 or 65?

refi the cars?

Not over 55%. Unfortunately I just bought the car and my wife's car is a lease. By my calculations it'll be close to 53% w/ the new mortgage.....

jv
Message 5 of 21
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

apply, it's free.
let us know how it goes.

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

would your wife be capable to "buy"out the lease under her name?  this would only work if you are in a non community property state if you were gonna go FHA
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
would your wife be capable to "buy"out the lease under her name?  this would only work if you are in a non community property state if you were gonna go FHA

Well considering I want to use my wife's income to qualify it would have to stay on her credit. B/W the both of us our DTI is 30% front end and with a new mortgage it's going to go about 53 to 55%..... I guess I'm just going to have to apply when i get the down and see what happens.....

jv
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those that have closed recently, what was your DTI w/ the new mortgage?

jv
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would a high credit score offset a high backed DTI (b/w 50-55%)?  I am really worried that my DTI is going to kill me when I go to apply for a loan!!!

jv

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.