cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High mortage rates since election week?

tag
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Re: High mortage rates since election week?

I'm so grateful that I locked in at 3.5 before the election!  I have so little experience with mortgage loans and had no idea the election would have an effect on the rate, but should have known.  It was offered to me last month by my existing lender and I grabbed it because my old mortgage was a little over 4. The new loan funded yesterday.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 11 of 27
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on getting a good rate. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 27
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Thanks!  My stars rarely align this well very often! 😄

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 13 of 27
jamevfan
Frequent Contributor

congrats on your new loan!!!! and great rate!!!

Current Ficos as of 01/2017 Equifax 640, Transunion 690 Experian 690 Mortgage middle score of 677
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed! We are seeing rates approximately 1/2%-3/4% higher than they were a month ago for all loan products.

Message 15 of 27
Calidreaming
Regular Contributor

We were aiming to close on a house next year around May.  We had considered moving that up due to rising interest rates but it looks like we might as well just take our chances on rates moving back down a bit. 

Message 16 of 27
wmweeza
Established Contributor

@Calidreaming wrote:

We were aiming to close on a house next year around May.  We had considered moving that up due to rising interest rates but it looks like we might as well just take our chances on rates moving back down a bit. 

That's what I'm hoping too, we start house hunting in late April or in May

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rates are still in the low 4's for conventional. If the payment is comfortable for the size/type home you want, then I'd strongly consider not gambling on rates going back down. Just my two cents.

Message 18 of 27
Calidreaming
Regular Contributor

Dpeezy,

The rates are doable for us now as long as they don't spike another 1% or something.  We already have a house we want to buy that is not listed.  We've been in contact with the owners and they want to sell, but they are not in a hurry.   My realtor doesn't seem to be in a hurry either.  We also have to find someone to assume our lease on the house we're renting, so waiting until May would be best for us logistically too. 

It sounds like rates are likely to trend higher over the long run but in the short term are very much in flux.  Or should we really be pressing to close earlier due to possible interest rate spikes? 

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is affordable based on current rates, I would move on it ASAP. 

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.