Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiring 2 or 3 Mortgage Brokers to compete

tag
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Hiring 2 or 3 Mortgage Brokers to compete

Is it a bad or good idea to work with 2 or more mortgage brokers to compete not only for best rate, closing cost, but to get the deal done and closed??? I don't mind the Hard Pulls......

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Re: Hiring 2 or 3 Mortgage Brokers to compete

Anyone?

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 2 of 14
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Isn't the broker supposed to shop your loan with various lenders?

I'm not sure it's beneficial to use multiple brokers. It may be beneficial to use a broker and find your own mortgage lender and compare terms.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 14
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

Generally speaking, anytime you hire a broker you're going to pay more than going directly to a lender.

The broker shops around rates for you, but then he/she gets paid as well which many times means a rate a bit higher than what you qualify for or more closing costs. If you have decent credit just shop around online and see who's got the best deals. Most lenders offer the same rates and the difference is the closing costs.

Message 4 of 14
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@nycsimone wrote:

Generally speaking, anytime you hire a broker you're going to pay more than going directly to a lender.

The broker shops around rates for you, but then he/she gets paid as well which many times means a rate a bit higher than what you qualify for or more closing costs. If you have decent credit just shop around online and see who's got the best deals. Most lenders offer the same rates and the difference is the closing costs.

Thanks......so what should I do? Go directly to a mortgage bank that has underwriters in house? Does having underwriters in house denote that they are not a mortgage broker, but a mortgage bank. The houses I bought in the past were through Countrywide Home loans (RIP). That's why I am lost these days.

Message 5 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Vegas247 wrote:

@nycsimone wrote:

Thanks......so what should I do? Go directly to a mortgage bank that has underwriters in house? Does having underwriters in house denote that they are not a mortgage broker, but a mortgage bank. The houses I bought in the past were through Countrywide Home loans (RIP). That's why I am lost these days.

Yes you should shop, but IMO I wouldn't use a mortgage broker. Use a mortgage banker that underwrites and funds their own loans. 

As to the comment that rates are the same from lender to lender, that simply is not so. Money is a commodity and the various lenders charge different rates so the same loan as well as different costs. I had a customer of mine recently (I am a Realtor) come in with a local lender approval. Once we went to contract their lender provided the interest rate and costs to close. The rate was a little high, 4%, but the costs were extremely high, $12k on a $230,000 purchase. I sent them to another mortgage banker I do business with and he got the deal done at 3.675% and total costs to close of $6800 including escrows. So yes, shop your lender.

Message 6 of 14
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Vegas247 wrote:

@nycsimone wrote:

Yes you should shop, but IMO I wouldn't use a mortgage broker. Use a mortgage banker that underwrites and funds their own loans. 

As to the comment that rates are the same from lender to lender, that simply is not so. Money is a commodity and the various lenders charge different rates so the same loan as well as different costs. I had a customer of mine recently (I am a Realtor) come in with a local lender approval. Once we went to contract their lender provided the interest rate and costs to close. The rate was a little high, 4%, but the costs were extremely high, $12k on a $230,000 purchase. I sent them to another mortgage banker I do business with and he got the deal done at 3.675% and total costs to close of $6800 including escrows. So yes, shop your lender.

Thanks StartingOver10. I think I found a Mortgage Lender (not broker) thanks to your advice. I found out that they carry loans. They are called National Residential Mortgage. 

Message 7 of 14
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

How are you going to explain the inquiries?

1. it is a scumbag thing to do to a loan officer

2. the 2nd and/or 3rd guy isnt going to compete anyway unless you commit fraud and lie about the other credit pulls

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 14
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

It's one thing to shop mortgage brokers to see who you feel better to work with, but to try and create a cut throat environment is bad business IMHO.  I personally plan on speaking with mortgage bankers/brokers that have been referred but in no way do I plan on playing them against eachother.  Trust me I want the best overall deal but I definitely want to sleep at night lol  It's like shopping for realtors, you have to be comfortable with who you're working with and working for you.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 9 of 14
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

Yes! As others said...use a Mortgage BANKER not a Mortgage Broker. I closed on my first home today and my FICO was a 742 and ended up going with my Credit Union. It was hands down the best offer.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.