Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Builders

tag
tanyagarrett
Valued Member

Home Builders

Is it better to go with the Home Builders LO?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Home Builders

Some builders, my employer included, require that its mortgage partner do your preapproval. We do not accept preapprovals from any "outside" lender. We offer a 3% [of final price of home] closing costs assistance when our lender partners is used to finance the purchase. That is a huge incentive to use our lender partner. One of my competitors down the stree from my community offers a flat $3,500 closing costs assistance so that is less of an incentive in my opinion.

Message 2 of 6
onrails

I'm kind of the middle of that as well.  My builder offers 6500 in closing costs with their lender and 3500 if you go with an outside lender.  I have estimates from both and am weighing the options.  

So far, they come out about equal on the bottom line because the fees are so much higher with the builders lender.  The interest rates ended up being exactly the same.  Of course, the builder's lender has a lot more to play with so if they really want to, they can beat out most any outside lender on paper because the math is in their favor.  Just depends on how much they are willing to budge.  

But in my case, unless the difference is huge, I'm probably going to stick with my local lender just because I feel comfortable with them, they know my situation already, and I feel like I am getting excellent service from my LO.  That's worth a few hundred dollars to me.

Message 3 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

Some builders, my employer included, require that its mortgage partner do your preapproval. We do not accept preapprovals from any "outside" lender. We offer a 3% [of final price of home] closing costs assistance when our lender partners is used to finance the purchase. That is a huge incentive to use our lender partner. One of my competitors down the stree from my community offers a flat $3,500 closing costs assistance so that is less of an incentive in my opinion.

What happens if your mortgage partners can't approve someone but an outside lender can?  Will you accept outside lenders pre-approvals in that situation?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 6
edcampbell613
Contributor

I am wondering when thats all going to change. All these laws.

Message 5 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

What happens if your mortgage partners can't approve someone but an outside lender can?  Will you accept outside lenders pre-approvals in that situation?

We will not write a purchase agreement based on a preapproval from any lender other than our mortgage partner. Corporate policy. We do give the 3% closing cost assistance if our mortgage partner declines the app in underwriting. I have two buyers in that situation right now.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.