Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Equity LIne of Credit credit score concern

tag
fritscher
Regular Contributor

Home Equity LIne of Credit credit score concern

Hi been working hard to finally get my credit up to almost excellenet range..only a few more pointsSmiley Happy My husband would like to take out a home equity line of credit as we have some needed home repairs to do..We do not plan on doing huge amounts at a time..say 2000 drawn at a time and then pay off quick as it is at 4 percent interest right now..he said he just wants to take 10000 but thought it would be better to have higher line of credit to keep util down . Is it similar to credit card utilization? so say if we did 25000 we would maybe benefit on our credit scores if we only draw  only up to 2500 at a time to keep at 10 percent? gee maybe better to have even higher line in case we have to spend a little more..i just dont want to hurt our scores..thank you for any feedback.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Home Equity LIne of Credit credit score concern

@fritscher wrote:

Hi been working hard to finally get my credit up to almost excellenet range..only a few more pointsSmiley Happy My husband would like to take out a home equity line of credit as we have some needed home repairs to do..We do not plan on doing huge amounts at a time..say 2000 drawn at a time and then pay off quick as it is at 4 percent interest right now..he said he just wants to take 10000 but thought it would be better to have higher line of credit to keep util down . Is it similar to credit card utilization? so say if we did 25000 we would maybe benefit on our credit scores if we only draw  only up to 2500 at a time to keep at 10 percent? gee maybe better to have even higher line in case we have to spend a little more..i just dont want to hurt our scores..thank you for any feedback.

HELOC's tend to UW at a much lower FICO score for best rates than traditional mortgages.  My EQ FICO 5 (the Equifax mortgage score) is only 693, which everyone will tell you ain't exactly optimal in conventional mortgage land, but I qualified for the best APR from DCU's absolutely excellent HELOC product for example.

As far as FICO dings go, other than possible new account I've seen absolutely zero: my 27K credit line HELOC is simply not counting as revolving, at all, on every FICO algorithm implemented in the last 14 or so years.  If I needed to max it out I wouldn't be worried about it.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.