Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Equity Line of Credit Dilemma-help respectfully requested

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Home Equity Line of Credit Dilemma-help respectfully requested

I found this forum a few days ago after getting swamped with chase pre-approved credit cards.  Well, now I need to get serious and hope to find out about what's really wrong with my credit.  

In 2006 I was the primary borrower on a $25,000 HELOC (Bank of America) while living with my stepmother in Massachusetts.  My stepmother, who was the secondary borrower, used her condo as collateral.  I took out the loan to pay off about $15,000 of her bills-she never paid a dime on the loan.  A few months later BofA asked me what line of credit I would like.  For the heck of it I said $125,000 and they gave it to me.  I was awarded the line increase in April 2007 and maxed it out.  I was never on the title and am baffled as to how I obtained this loan.  I guess my credit was good at the time, I had savings, no debts, and a $50,000 tax-free disability income.  I returned to Oregon later that year and returned to my gambling addiction.  I spent over $100,000 on gold and sold it at a loss in 2009, just before the market skyrocketed.  I signed the proceeds over to a VA fiduciary who paid off several credit cards and two cars with it.  She was indicted for fraud earlier this year and is currently facing federal charges in Oregon.  I entered gambling treatment in September after years of outpatient therapy.  Finally, at the age of 53, I seem to have a handle on my illness (I'm also bipolar on VA and Social Security disability).  

Until this year I only made the interest payments but now am working on the principal ($500/month).  The balance is currently $116,000 and the account was suspended by the bank years ago.  It's been delinquent several times, most recently in September 2013.  I haven't spoken to my stepmother in many years and have no contact with my family back east.  Yesterday my gambling addiction therapist helped me do a title search at the request of my new VA fiduciary, appointed because of my gambling problem. (the VA won't let me handle my check due to mental illnes and gambling addiction).  She won't continue to pay the loan if I'm not on the title, and I'm not.  To make matters more interesting, the county where the condo is located seized the title due to non-payment of taxes in 2011.   The HELOC was the first mortgage on the property, so I assume BofA holds a lien as well.  If I don't pay the LOC my credit goes to crap and I've worked hard to stop my compulsive gambling and spending.  I'm too old to mess around but don't want to spend the rest of my life making $1000 monthly payments that I'm facing in a couple of years when the LOC goes into repayment.  I checked the interest rates and they soar during that 15-year period, much higher than 15-year fixed mortgages.  I have already had cancer (over 5 years ago) and will continue to battle bipolar disorder the rest of my life.  My 50K disability income is permanent and I pay $750/month for a small apartment in a no-frills retirement home in Oregon.  I hold the title to my car with 80,000 miles on it (2011 Kia).  I have six credit cards with a 10K total CL and current balance of less than $500.  My credit score is around 700 despite my checkered past.  I have a long history of maxed out credit cards, settlements and other problems that were caused by poor financial decisions.  My illness played a big part of it but I am responsible for what I have done and am living in a budget now.

So I don't know what to do about the line of credit.  Do I keep paying it?  Do I default?  I don't know if my stepmother is alive or still lives there.  This subject is emotionally painful as well as a financial burden, but I am responsible for it.  I have the income to pay it and just live a basic life.  

Any response would be welcomed.

Thank you for reading.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Home Equity Line of Credit Dilemma-help respectfully requested

First, thank you for your service to our country.

Interesting story, and I appreciate your efforts to get a handle on the situation.  You gotta know where ya been to figure out where ya need to go next.  First you gotta find out if your step mother is still alive.

I dunno much, so I'm not much help.  But if I read correctly you have a HELOC with BOA on your step mom's condo back East? The VA guy handling your money and pays who needs to be paid what, but told you he's gonna cut off BOA cos your name is not on the title or the loan?

I'm thinking you're gonna be on the hook to BOA for some kind of monthly payment, and for a long time.  Right now they have 100k just out there, and they ain't liking that, and will pursue whoever or whatever to recoup.  Will your VA guy get involved with BOA to maybe roll that money into some kinda fixed loan with a better rate than what is about to descend on ya?  Perhaps he can explain to them what's goin on?  Because you don't even know your step mom is alive, you're not gonna know what the status of the condo is (someone living in it or what?)

So I can't be much help, but a number of folks here are quite helpful about this stuff and can chime in.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BamaGuy,

Thanks for your reply.  I know that BofA can't garnish my VA or Social Security checks.  They can make my life miserable and kill my credit, but in the end it's up to me whether I make the payments.  The status of my stepmother remains a mystery.  No one in my family, with exception of my biological mother, talks to me.  I'll wait for further information and responses.

Take care,

Analog9 (US Navy 1981-85)

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can, (make life miserable) and will.  Having 100k in collections to a single lender is going to be kryptonite for a looooooong time.  I'm new here, so I don't know much.  Hopefully someone else can jump in.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BamaGuy,

I found out that my stepmother is alive and still living in the condo.  I got some help from someone in another forum and will continue making the payments, however painful they may be, for as long as I live or until the condo gets sold or my stepmother dies.  That's the moral thing to do, and I have enough income to pay the bill.  I will live marginally but independently, no frills, just basic life stuff.

Thanks for the replies.

Take care.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.