Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

Home Equity Loan-With High DTI

I am looking for a lender that will allow me to take out a home equity loan against my home. I am looking to pay off a majority of my credit card bills. Currently my DTI is around 48%. Based off the information that I have received in regard to my home value,  by taking the equity and paying off my credit cards, I can get my DTI lower to around 40% My front end ratio will be around 28% (that will be worst case).  My credit utilization is at 92%.

How do lenders look at this? Will they consider paying off my credit cards and therefore go with the DTI minus my credit cards that I will pay off or will they consider the credit cards and the new monthly loan payment, which will probably increase my DTI to around 51/52%?

Valued Contributor

Re: Home Equity Loan-With High DTI

ilkhats44 wrote:

I am looking for a lender that will allow me to take out a home equity loan against my home. I am looking to pay off a majority of my credit card bills. Currently my DTI is around 48%. Based off the information that I have received in regard to my home value,  by taking the equity and paying off my credit cards, I can get my DTI lower to around 40% My front end ratio will be around 28% (that will be worst case).  My credit utilization is at 92%.

How do lenders look at this? Will they consider paying off my credit cards and therefore go with the DTI minus my credit cards that I will pay off or will they consider the credit cards and the new monthly loan payment, which will probably increase my DTI to around 51/52%?

I think this will be a bit of a struggle.  Lenders view high CC utilization as a sign of financial distress so getting approved could be a challange inofitself, when you add on the DTI ratio issue this makes it a bit tougher.  I am not sure they will count on you paying off your cards because they cannot require you to do so and many folks that have done this in the past turned around and ran their cards up again so the potential of adding to the DTI is there.  

NFCU Go Rewards 18k, NFCU Go Rewards AU 22k, NFCU CLOC 15k, NFCU N Rewards 14k, Amex ED preferred 12k, Amex BC 1k, USAA CL 2k, Hawaiian Air Barclay 1.2k, Venture One 10.1k, Target 7k, Citi Costco 2k, Citi AAdvantage 7k, NFCU Platinum AU $14K, Penfed Platinum Rewards $5.5k. PayPal 2.2K, Discover IT 6k

Gardening till 2018, Goal of 700's by the end of 2017
MyFico Scores June 2017: EQ 692 TU 703 EXP 698
Frequent Contributor

workingfor850 wrote:

ilkhats44 wrote:

I think this will be a bit of a struggle.  Lenders view high CC utilization as a sign of financial distress so getting approved could be a challange inofitself, when you add on the DTI ratio issue this makes it a bit tougher.  I am not sure they will count on you paying off your cards because they cannot require you to do so and many folks that have done this in the past turned around and ran their cards up again so the potential of adding to the DTI is there.  

w4 850,

I'm curious about your response.

We initiated this process last yr and the lender approved us based on them paying the individual lenders directly, no proceeds were to be disbursed to us personally. Perhaps different lenders have their own policies?

Frequent Contributor

ilkhats44 wrote:

Different lenders, different rules on DTI. Ever considered a cash out and let the bank disburse the funds to the CC companies?

Mortgage Loan Officer in the Greater Chicago area and in 46 different states.

They will pay off all the credit cards, loans directly to get the DTI within regulations with no cash out. However this can get some people into deeper crap if they max out their credits cards again and basically double their debt with their house on the line. I am getting a HEL with a local FCU and they are paying off $50K in CC debt with no cash to me. 6.95% for 20 years but will pay it off in less than 10. I do not recommend a HELOC. The banks are pushing them so that means it's not as good as a HEL.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.