Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Equity Loan

tag
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

Home Equity Loan

The idea of taking one of this came up to me this morning. Is this a good idea to take a Home Equity loan?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Home Equity Loan

Home Equity Loans are good for some and not so good for others.  It depends on what you do with the money your receive.  If you are going to pay off high interest debts then this loan can be a benefit.  Also home improvements are beneficial.  The interest rates on these loans are usually less than other types of loans and the interest is tax deductible.  Getting approved for one is more difficult today than it was a few years ago due to a decline in property values. 

Message 2 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@eddymvp wrote:

The idea of taking one of this came up to me this morning. Is this a good idea to take a Home Equity loan?

You'll get different opinions about this. I had a HEL a few years ago but that was before I came here and realized that putting your house up for collateral is probably not the best thing to do. I'll only say that I'll try not to go that route again

In a worst case scenario if someone defaults on revolving debt they will still have a place to live but defaulting on a HEL could be much devestating. I'm not at all saying this would ever happen to you but you need to keep that possibility in mind.

But if someone decides to get a HEL I can't and won't judge them for doing so. We all have to make decisions that we feel are best.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 5
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Replacing unsecured debt with secured debt is just a bad idea.

Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@boomhower wrote:

Replacing unsecured debt with secured debt is just a bad idea.

+1

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.