Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Loans and Credit Card Debt Question

tag
turninganewleaf
Regular Contributor

Home Loans and Credit Card Debt Question

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a home in the next couple of months and I'm trying to understand how lenders consider credit card debt. Following is a list of credit cards I have, CL's and current balance.

1.  AMEX, CL $1,000 (current balance is $182.00)
2.  Chevron, CL $400 (current balance is $35.00)
3.  Target, CL $500 (current balance is $0)
4.  Credit First (Firestone), CL $1200 (current balance is $131.00)

I understand about utilization percentages (that my utilization needs to stay below 10%) but the above balances will be paid off 2/6/08, leaving $0 due on all my cards.  I pay every card I have in full every month (but the above balances will report).   So...if I'm paying in full every month, do I technically have debt that I would need to report to a mortgage lender?  If so, would the reported debt be my balance owed or the minimum payment due? 

Does my question make sense? 

FICO 8/5/10; TU 724, EQ 702
FICO 6/9/09: TU 669, EQ 658, EX ???
FICO 7/20/07: TU 540; EQ 595, EX 544
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Home Loans and Credit Card Debt Question

Congrats on doing a great job of keeping util down but still having balances report.  It's practically an art, isn't it?

You have a *whopping* $348 in debt which as you know is used for overall util calculation, but for DTI (debt to income purposes), I think a lender calculates the total of the minimum monthly payments.  It really doesn't matter because you are in Negligible Debt Territory.  WTG! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

The lender will get your credit card balance information from the credit report they pull, but if you can provide $0 balance statements then you should be able to exclude all of your credit card minimum payments from your debt to income ratio calculation.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane - thanks for correcting me!
Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Smiley Wink
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.