cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Owner's Insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tag
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Home Owner's Insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

Location is Texas, Dallas/Fort Worth area. Purchase price $178,000.. The house was built in 1979 but has been remodled. New roof, 2013. Brand new HVAC.. This is my first home so the sales rep told me that it is more expensive because I have never had home owners insurance and because the house is old...?

OK...don't be mad. Just get a bunch of quotes. Make sure that the coverage on all quotes are comparable...with premium cost being one of several factors.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses... I will tryo to remain calm and stay collective... Sigh~

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I live in Tyler Texas.  Had the same issue.  My realtor suggested Goosehead insurance.  I spoke to the rep, agreed to change my car insurance to qualify for a better homeowner's quote.  I recommend your local Goosehead broker.  Good luck!

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP- who quoted you that?  What company?

I am in the Texas area, too, and used to be in the insurance business.  You can find better rate than that!  Send me PM if you need any help understanding insurance for homeowners. 

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are using Progressive. Our Ho ins is $1190 a year and our auto dropped $800 a year.  Our purchase price is $265k in the Nashville area. Our quotes varied. Nationwide wanted $3300 a year! Just keep shopping :-)

Our number shock came when the gave us the Financials, pmi, Ho ins, property taxes blah blah blah. It made me want to run the other way and build a tiny house lol

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you live in the state of Texas, you have no idea what our homeowners insurance rates are like and the factors that created the hikes.  Gov. Rick Perry gave free reign to insurance companies and we pay for it thru the nose.  Be grateful for your less costly homeowners insurance rates if you do not live here.  The quotes are outrageous.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely shop around. We are in SWFL and there was huge sticker shock. I can confirm that the first quote we received was from an agent via USAA and it was close to $2K. Purchase price $215K.

Plus we have to have flood insurance which again was huge. We found a local broker based on word of mouth and we are so glad we did. Best of luck.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless you live in the state of Texas, you have no idea what our homeowners insurance rates are like and the factors that created the hikes.  Gov. Rick Perry gave free reign to insurance companies and we pay for it thru the nose.  Be grateful for your less costly homeowners insurance rates if you do not live here.  The quotes are outrageous.

I have lived all over Texas for decades.  And I was in the insurance business for years.  I have seen outrgeous quotes due to many issues, but not because Gov Perry gave free reign. 

Right now, as expected, North Texas is seeing a nice increase in insurance for homes due to plethora of claims from the crazy weather we have had.  Tons of roofs being replaced.  Even then, OP's quote can still be beat. 

Message 18 of 24
mskarma
New Contributor

I am scheduled to close next week. I live in Houston and know how crazy the insurance is. The best two quotes I received were from Allstate and Ameriprise (Costco discount). My rate on a 200k loan was around $1600 for the year if I bundled my auto which I did because it was also cheaper than what I was currently paying. Everyone else else I called was quoting me $2400-2800 per year.

Message 19 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't realize homeowners insurance living in a hurricane prone area was so much higher than apparently any other disaster area.

        
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.