Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home equity loan and NSFs

tag
lagb
Contributor

Home equity loan and NSFs

My husband and I are considering getting a small home equity loan to finish off some home improvements.  Our current mortgage is FHA (not sure if that matters).  The problem is that due to some bad banking on my part, I've got some NSFs on my statements.  I've always deposited the money, just a day late most of the time (oops). 

Will this be a factor in whether we can get an equity loan?  We've never been late on our mortgage or our small CCs.  Our utilization is a bit high on our CCs right now, because I've been using those to do some renovations, and would much rather pay those off (under $1,000.00 total) and just get the equity loan to finish the work once and for all. 

Our scores are in the mid 600's and will be until we pay down those CCs and some of our really old baddies start coming off this year. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Home equity loan and NSFs

Most equity loans/2nd mortgages don't require reserves to qualify, thus would never review your bank statements.  However most 2nd mortgages do require pretty darn good credit, mid 600's might not cut the mustard.  I'd suggest contacting your bank, along with any other local banks, to inquire about minimum credit score, combined loan-to-value, & debt to income ratio requirements
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.