Re: Homebuyer Tax Credit Update

here is a well formatted cheat sheet

2010 Homebuyer Tax Credit

Retired Lender
Message 11 of 14
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Do you know what the publish date is for this NAR Issue Brief? I ask because my realtor sent me a PDF of this same brief this morning, dated 11/04/09, and in the right column, it indicates "November 7 - April 30, 2010" instead of the "December 1 - April 30, 2010" specified in the version you posted.

My 2009 return is going to show income level teetering at the threshold of reduced credit, and my closing is scheduled for 11/18, so I'm just wanting to make sure that the adjustment to the $125K level to start reducing the credit is still applicable effective immediately upon the President's signature last Friday.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a dumb question since I'm still confused...

I purchased my first home in 6/06 and will be putting it on the market soon.  After I sell it, If I buy a new home before April 2010, will I qualify for anything (either the $8K or $6500)?

Message Edited by Elexi21 on 11-10-2009 03:26 PM
Message 13 of 14
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Please don't shoot the messenger, but based on how I read the requirements, it looks like you fall into a sort of homeowner tax credit donut hole. As I understand it, you would be left out of the $8K FTHB credit because you are a current homeowner (qualification for that credit is that you cannot have owned principle residence at any time within the past 3 years). You would miss out on the $6500 credit as an existing homeowner because for that credit, my interpretation is that you would have to have owned your house for a five-consecutive-year period within the last 8 years.

But it definitely possible that I am even more confused that you, so don't lose hope solely on my interpretation. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.