Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeowner's insurance recommendations for first time buyer

tag
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Homeowner's insurance recommendations for first time buyer

No one insurance company is best.....it is all local.  SHOP, SHOP and SHOP some more, that is the only way to get the best policy.  Some companies are more competitive in different areas.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in NY. I shopped shopped shopped. I thought going directly through a company versus an agent would be cheaper. Not the case.

My ex-husband pays my car insurance through our agreement so I couldn't bundle and try to save there. I had companies try to use 3times the purchase price, beg for the appraisal first, etc for the replacement value. I had a few companies tell me what their formula predicted for a replacement value so after a few quotes I was able to determine who was going to high or too low.

I made sure I was within my lenders guidelines and found insurance that covered what I needed but was still very affordable.

I still get solicitation calls though I have had my choice in place and on hold for over a month.

Message 12 of 16
xxpert
Established Member

@wednesdayaddamsd wrote:

hey "xxpert" I was quoted the same coverage at vastly different premiums. Just because someone says "cheaper" doesn't mean less. thanks for the rude comment though!

Someone is overly sensitive.....I wasn't trying to be rude but merely stating that most people focus on the price of insurance too much and not so much on the value. As the great Oscar WIlde put it " A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" 

The same coverages that you claim you got  I can bet aren't the same. Trust me, I own an Insurance Agency and know the biz in and out 

Wallet: Gold PRG/ Saphire Preffered 9k/ Amex SPG 4k / Amex Platinum/ Barclays US Air 14k/ Delta Gold 20k / Ink Bold/ Citi AA plat 10k

Drawer: US Bank Flexperks 12k/ Freedom 2k/ Citi dividend 2k/ Ink plus 6k
Message 13 of 16
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Ladies and gentlemen, lets keep our posts friendly, supportive and respectful.

--fused, myfico moderator

Message 14 of 16
xxpert
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in NY. I shopped shopped shopped. I thought going directly through a company versus an agent would be cheaper. Not the case.

My ex-husband pays my car insurance through our agreement so I couldn't bundle and try to save there. I had companies try to use 3times the purchase price, beg for the appraisal first, etc for the replacement value. I had a few companies tell me what their formula predicted for a replacement value so after a few quotes I was able to determine who was going to high or too low.

I made sure I was within my lenders guidelines and found insurance that covered what I needed but was still very affordable.

I still get solicitation calls though I have had my choice in place and on hold for over a month.

Its a myth that going direct is cheaper than going with an agent. Not only that but you don't want to deal with a call center for insurance. Not only don't they know squat but the call center reps are under a lot of scrutiny to keep thier calls to a certain duration. I tell all of my Agents that if a prospect is not willing to spend 20-30 minutes with you than we more or less don't want  them as a client as these are the type of clients that will file an E&O claim  citing that we did not tell them that the policy had a 3% tropical cyclone deductible or didn't include flood coverage. Find yourself a good (emphasize on "good") local Agent and you will be happy that you have a professional to make sure that your moist prized assets are protected. 

Wallet: Gold PRG/ Saphire Preffered 9k/ Amex SPG 4k / Amex Platinum/ Barclays US Air 14k/ Delta Gold 20k / Ink Bold/ Citi AA plat 10k

Message 15 of 16
xxpert
Established Member

@fused wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, lets keep our posts friendly, supportive and respectful.

--fused, myfico moderator

darn....and I just purchased boxing gloves on ebay. does ebay have a refund policy?

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.