cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeowners Insurance Is Through the Roof???

tag
Amatiq
Established Member

Homeowners Insurance Is Through the Roof???

So I've been playing around with figures on several mortgage calculators. They all seem to estimate homeowner's insurance at around 800-1000 yearly. I've gotten a homeowners quote on a few homes, both around $100,000.00 purchase price...and they are showing WAY more. The lowest quote I've seen is $125.00 per month. 

Is that normal? Or am I missing something? Why would a homeowners insurance quote be so out of proportion to the "average". These homes are not that expensive, they don't have fireplaces, and I've never had a claim. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Homeowners Insurance Is Through the Roof???

yeah, if you are near the coast or something.

maybe the house has had a lot of claims?

the insurance folks can explain to you why your costs are what they are

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Where are you?

Here in Fl HOI is extremely expensive - average $200/mth for $200k to $250k home, nothing fancy.

So, where you are located makes a huge difference - in addition to the amount of coverage.

Message 3 of 8
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

As mentioned it varies by region and risk - 

You want a shocker get a quote for flood insurance - 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 4 of 8
Amatiq
Established Member

I'm in Nebraska, the Southeast corner. Also the home are all around 100 years old. 

Message 5 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Here in Fl the age of the home is a material factor in the cost of the insurance

It may be the same in your area.  Do you have an insurance agent you know and trust? Have you tried an insurance broker?

Insurance brokers can shop all the available companies that service your area and give you quotes showing the coverage amounts and prices etc. It is worth a phone call rather than just sticking with a captive agent (eg: State Farm, Nationwide, etc).

Message 6 of 8
Amatiq
Established Member

I'll give that a try, Starting Over. I've always wanted a turn of the century home, but not if it's going to up my payment hundreds per month!

Message 7 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

While you are talking with the insurance broker, ask if there is anything you can do to minimize the risk to the insurance company. For example, here we have 'Wind Mitigation Inspections" and if the property meets certain standards having to do with roof structure and shutters etc the cost of windstorm insurance is substantially reduced.

In your area it might be similar - different criteria, but something you can do to the property to reduce the annual cost of insurance.

Most insurance agents do not volunteer this info - you have to ask.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.