cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeowners Insurance Worry (First time buyer)

tag
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Homeowners Insurance Worry (First time buyer)

I'm buying my first house and during the mortgage process I started shopping around for homeowners insurance quotes. One company, the company I have my auto insurance with, was particularly agressive, and their quote was resonable. I said I was going to shop for more quotes but would contact them if I decided to take theirs. As I said they were very agressive and I stupidly agreed to give them my mortgage broker's email address.

Fast forward to yesterday and I received a complete policy from them, even though I never agreed to buy their policy. I happened to get another quote with slightly better coverage for far less money, and I decided to purchase their policy and gave them the mortgage company loan info to get it all set up before closing. Today I received all the documents from them and it states that they'll ask my escrow company for payment.

What do I need to do? I haven't signed anything with either company and I'm annoyed the first company proceeded without my consent, even if I was naive in giving them my broker's info. I made it clear to my broker which company I wanted to use. How will it work? Will all the paperwork be included at closing so that I can be assured I've purchased the policy I want? I close on Tuesday.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Homeowners Insurance Worry (First time buyer)

Send an email to your processor letting them know which company you want to work with an specifically revoke the company that you do not want to handle your insurance. Make sure the LO and the processor have this info so there is no error at closing.

Call and email your insurance agent reminding them that you never gave them permission to contact your lender and that you have chosen another insurer for your homeowners insurance coverage. Tell them you got better coverage for less money. Be pro-active on this or you will have an issue at closing.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.