Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeowners

tag
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Homeowners

Went online to get quote for two properties and got quoted 7-9000 year. Now I have never so much as files an auto claim in my life let alone a Homeowners. Property value was 175000. Anyone have any ideas if this is plausible
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Homeowners

@Sbrooks1 wrote:
Went online to get quote for two properties and got quoted 7-9000 year. Now I have never so much as files an auto claim in my life let alone a Homeowners. Property value was 175000. Anyone have any ideas if this is plausible

That sounds high - even if you are in Florida.  $9k? Crazy high.  Where are you geographically?

Message 2 of 12
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Louisiana! I went to SF and got a quote just now if 1240, so I'm not sure why Geico and Progressive gave me that quote . SF is where I have my current renters, but auto has been w geico for years
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ours is 1250 but we have a pond, pool and fireplace so ... yes I think 7-9000 is astronomical.
Message 4 of 12
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

I almost fell out of my chair, both quoted like 2000 down and 500-700 month. Hope I don't have some thing else to worry over !
Message 5 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I believe you should contact an insurance broker before you commit to SF.  I use insurance brokers here in S FL because otherwise, buyers would be paying astronomical rates.  They are well worth checking into.  Get a referral from your lender and any of your homeowner friends that have an insurance broker.  I know SF doesn't do that (at least they don't do it here).  

Ask your insurance broker what features help reduce the rate for insurance.

Here we have to have a wind mitigation report to even get a quote (9-page report done by certified inspectors - not insurance co people as they have a vested interest in having the highest rate and not the lowest rate).  Things that reduce the cost here include: age of the home, type of construction, the shape of the roof, the age of roof, shutters, etc.  See if you have something similar in your market. I have seen the wind mitigation report save the homeowner thousands of dollars every year on the insurance premium. 

Message 6 of 12
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

I have never heard of an insurance broker? Great advice and thanks
Message 7 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Insurance brokers get quotes from lots of different companies. The one I use has access to about 100 different insurance co's and he provides the top 5 quotes based on what the cover and the price.  He always beats a direct quote from an insurance co.  Smiley Happy  Insurance brokers are independent agents not tied to one particular company. 

Message 8 of 12
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Hey Starting Over does that effect my credit score to use a broker?
Message 9 of 12
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

And thank you for the loan officer referral😍
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.