Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homestead?

tag
scorepower
Regular Contributor

Homestead?

We recently purchased a home and got some information from a company called title concepts with a copy of our grant deed. Does it make sense to have homestead? They are asking for $45 to place a homestead so we are protected against lawsuits/judgements that can tap into our equity for up to $75,000. Has anyone had experience with this? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks
1/16/16 Credit Check Total FICO 08 Scores: TU 633, EX 651, EQ 629
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Homestead?

@scorepower wrote:
We recently purchased a home and got some information from a company called title concepts with a copy of our grant deed. Does it make sense to have homestead? They are asking for $45 to place a homestead so we are protected against lawsuits/judgements that can tap into our equity for up to $75,000. Has anyone had experience with this? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks

First of all, if I were you I would not rely on a forum like this for such a question, I would talk to a somebody who was familiar with Real Estate law in your jurisdiction. Second, if you do want people here to attempt a response than you need to say which State because such laws vary wildly from State to State. Many States do not have any such law, other States have some type of automatic protection for one's primary residence. But where they do require action by the homeowner, usually it just involves going to some government office, filling out one form to register the property as a homestead, and possibly paying a small fee, scarcely something that requires paying some company 45 dollars. Probably every Real Estate broker in your area can tell you what the local procedure is wherever you live.

You might also talk with your insurance agent. When my wife and I became homeowners, our insurance agent recommended getting a one million dollar "umbrella" policy in addition to our car and home insurance because where we live should we get hit by a really major lawsuit they could go after the value of our residence.

Message Edited by MattH on 06-01-2008 05:54 PM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Homestead?

ignore letter.
contact your taxing authority and file your homestead exemption yourself.
its free
these companies mail these lettes to everyone who buys a house in hopes that some sucker will allow them to perform the service.
you can do it yourself just like a million others have done
Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.