cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopeful first time home buyer. What are our chances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopeful first time home buyer. What are our chances?

If there’s more information needed, please let me know!

Credit. – (From MyFico) Mine:  TU 635; EX 648; EQ 632  His:  TU: 637; EX: 594;  EQ: 645

Little background. 

HIM:  He has 4 baddies, 2 are medical, 1 shouldn’t be there it was paid and is being disputed and the other 2 are lates from MY accounts on the lates I had in late 2011 early 2012.  Myfico advised him that if he got another card (he has like no credit which is his problem) with a 2k limit it would increase his scores by 40 points.  He applied and got one.

ME: I have had some lates in late 2011 early 2012 due to him being unemployed and losing his unemployment income.  We had to choose to keep housed, fed and clothed, or pay my credit card bills.  I chose housing and eating.  I have 1 collection that should not be on my report because they’re violating the SOL on it, and it’s being disputed.  My utilization is at 78% according to my fico.  I made large payments and brought that way down and am planning on doing so and paying down as much as humanly possible to get it down to under 30% in the next 2 months.

Income.  Combined gross annual income is approximately $71,000. (was last year on taxes, may be more this year) I make $54,500 annual and his will go up from last year due to his increase in pay.  He works seasonally and collects unemployment for 3-4 months of the year.

Source of income.  Income is all employment salary for me and hourly and unemployment income for him

Monthly debt payments.  Monthly debt payment is approximately $650.00 the bulk of which is a $367 car note, the rest being credit card payments that I’m trying to pay down

EmploymentEmployment for me is W2’d and for him as well.  I have been at my place of employment for 20 years, and he has been at his for 3.  The unemployment income receives something else a 1099 something I can’t remember 

Assets/Reserves.  We are aware that we need a FHA loan and we will have 3.5% to come up with We will have a portion saved and then receive the rest as a gift from my family & his as to whatever it is we’re short.

Location.  Location is either Cook or Will County, Illinois

Property.  A single family house, condo, townhome whatever we can find that is in our price range. 

Value.  Really don't know how much we could afford.  Our ideal monthly payment wouldnt exceed $1,300

Occupancy.  Primary residence 

Transaction Type.  It is a purchase and we would ideally like to do a 15 year loan. 

Citizenship: We both are US Citizens.

Thank you so much for your time!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Hopeful first time home buyer. What are our chances?

The unemployment income can be used as long as he's been receiving it for at least 2 years.  The seasonal employment income can also be used if he's been receiving it for at least 2 years, if he's on unemployment income at the time you apply then a letter from his employer stating they plan on rehiring him would be needed.

Assuming the qualifying income is $71k/year, then with the $650/mo in debt payments you shouldn't have a problem qualifying for a $1,300/mo housing payment.

Property taxes vary quite a bit throughout Will & Cook counties, but assuming a 2% tax rate then a $1,300/mo payment would equate to around a $165k sales price on a house - if you are looking for a 30-year fixed.  For condos/townhomes there are HOA fees, which will reduce the sales price to match your target monthly payment.  If you are going for a 15-year fixed then on a house it'd be more around $120k for a monthly payment of $1,300/mo.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your time and response, Shawn!

So according to everything here, and with my score being on the rise, are our chances good of getting a mortgage?

I'm not asking for guarantees, because I know there are none!

Thanks again

Message 3 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It's Shane, not Shawn, but don't worry you aren't the first to make that mistake.

Credit looks fine, I don't see any reason why you'd have a problem as long as the income can qualify.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm very sorry about that Shane... I don't know why I did that, but apparently, as you said I wasn't the first!

The income should be no issue.  He's been at his place of employment as I said for 3 years, and it's guaranteed callback unless they quit.  Getting a letter from the employer shouldn't be an issue.

Message 5 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

No worries.  Sounds like you'll be in pretty good shape.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.