cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Hopefully) My Journey to Homeownership (new: 10/23)

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Re: (Hopefully) My Journey to Homeownership

I had my builder meeting this morning.  It went well, but with a little hiccup.  When I contracted for the house, it included foam-filled insulated block, but they eliminated that in favor of an "upgrade" to Low-E windows.  I had already paid for an upgrade to double pane and the foam was one of the key selling points to me (the other builder had it as an add-on).  So, now we are trying to figure out how to get it done. It will involve a change order and some more $$$ out of my pocket, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Still don't know if my file has gone to the UW.  Last I heard was this week, so hopefully will be hearing something on that soon.  SLs are STILL not right.  DirectLoans is still reporting balances/incorrect payments and NelNet hasn't gotten the IBR straightened out or the loans all aligned to the same due date.  NIGHTMARE.

Still, it feels like moving forward, so that's a good thing.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 31 of 58
indecison
Regular Contributor

Hang in there! I know it can be tough to go through but will be worth it in the end. I have a house being built and was actually started on time. Problem was they started building the wrong house which equated to a 4 week delay. Then the brick we chose was on back order and resulted in another delay.. Still hoping for a completion in late September early October though.. The full process for us started when we signed the contract in February so 7 plus months of wait and worry from start to finish...

I have not even started the full loan approval process yet either which makes me worry all the time. Should be starting that in a few weeks and I will have all new worries to go through.

Message 32 of 58
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Officially in underwriting!  Construction is set to start on 8/14, so the LO said we will have an answer before then.  Slowly, slowly getting there.

Message 33 of 58
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

I know you are excited.  Are you going to take pics of the build often for your scrapbook?

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 34 of 58
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

@JusdoNit wrote:

I know you are excited.  Are you going to take pics of the build often for your scrapbook?

Oh, absolutely!  I already warned the builder.  My rental house is only 7 minutes away from the new home, so I'll be there every. single. day. Smiley Wink

Message 35 of 58
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Still waiting for UW, but...

When I signed the contract, the home included foam insulated block as a standard feature.  It was one of the selling points for this builder to me.  I received a letter awhile back telling me they were upgrading my windows to Low-E (I had already paid for an upgrade to double-pane) and were removing the foam.  I emailed my salesperson and said, no, I still want the foam.  He told me it was no longer offered, but that I should talk to the superintendent when I had my builders meeting. 

Had the meeting, talked to him, he told me if I had upgraded to the Low-E, they would still do the foam, but he would see what he could find out.  FF to today and he tells me they are no longer offereing the foam, but here is the number for the contractor in case I want to do it on my own.  THEN he calls to tell me that it should have been offered as an add-on.  I remind him that as of my contract date, it was still a standard feature, so no reason to offer it as an extra. He then said he would need to talk to the boss to figure out the change order for it.  I told him I'd already called the contractor and would be very interested to see the price difference.

In the meantime, I email the salesperson who insists that it is no longer an option AT. ALL. He also told me that it's too late to do a change order.

I am SOOOOOOO frustrated by this whole thing.  They are over a month late starting and now they are going to harass me over my insisting that they include what I signed up for?  I even told them I would pay the difference in price between the double pane and the Low-E if it meant I could still have the foam, so it's not like I'm asking for it for free.  Sheesh.

Message 36 of 58
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Re: (Hopefully) My Journey to Homeownership (new: 8/4)

Got my conditional underwriting and conditions this week, which I took care of mailing out yesterday.  I hope they are OK as a couple of them were strange (LOE on a 3yo address and about a student loan consolidation in particular)

Builder called me today to let me know we are a solid go for next week AND they are going to be including the insulation I had been challenging at NO CHARGE! I'm very happy about that.  Still can't believe this is all really happening.

Message 37 of 58
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Re: (Hopefully) My Journey to Homeownership (new: 8/10)

My appraisal came in today, $2000 above the purchase price. 

The loan processor has my paperwork for my conditions in hand and I'm just waiting to hear back if that's it (for now).

Footers were supposed to have been dug today, but I won't be going by until tomorrow to check it out.  It's getting REAL!

Message 38 of 58
indecison
Regular Contributor

Wow I'm surprised they did an appraisal this early in the build process. My house is 80% complete and we have not had the appraisal done as of yet.

Message 39 of 58
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

@indecison wrote:

Wow I'm surprised they did an appraisal this early in the build process. My house is 80% complete and we have not had the appraisal done as of yet.

I was surprised, too.  I got the appraisal today and it was weird having the photo be of an empty lot!  They based it off of the plans and the contract, I guess.

Message 40 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.