Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House vs Condo

tag
axxy
Regular Contributor

House vs Condo

Is a condo as easy as a house to qualify for a mortgage?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Re: House vs Condo

Depends on how you look at it. Technically, no. The credit score requirements are the same. However condos have more stringent requirements than single family properties. There has to be so many owner occupied units in the building. There are specific rules about what percentage of units are behind on their dues and how much reserves the HOA association has in the bank. If you are going FHA, it has to be an FHA approved condo. I also talked to a bank who wouldn't do a mortgage on a condo without a 20% down payment. I ultimately went with a lender who let me out down as little as 3%

So generally, while you should qualify for both equally based on your credit score, work history, reserves, etc, there are more stringent requirements specific to condos in order to get a loan

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.