Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Houses with really steep driveways....

tag
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

Houses with really steep driveways....

This may be kinda off topic since this forum is more about mortgages, but it seems that only mature adults post here so you can get really helpful info from people who understand.  I am trying to move out ASAP, and a few houses seemed nice but the only major turnoff was that they were built on top of huge hills so the driveway is like a mountain.  I drive a car that is pretty low to the ground so I am sure my bumper will scrap across it.  I have no idea why so many houses are built with driveways that are at 90 degree angles?  In fact I bet I couldn't even walk up then without twisting my ankle since they are so inclined.  It doesn't make any sense to me.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SilverBerries
Contributor

Re: Houses with really steep driveways....

I had two houses that I considered like that. The first one, I ran away from. The front yard was nothing but a steep hill - not an inch of flat ground until you got to the garage. It was so impractical that it wasn't even worth the consideration. Too bad, too, because it had a wonderful back deck area and a beautiful great room. The other place I came very close to bidding on. I really, really wanted it. I went back and looked at that place six or seven times. The house was everything I was looking for, and the back land would have been perfect for my animals. However, the front yard, again, was a steep hill. Between the difficulty of taking my pups for a walk down that driveway, the impossibility of mowing it, and the fact that storms love to wreak havoc with homes on hills - well, I made another choice. I still think about that house from time to time and wonder "what if." BTW, it never sold and the owners ended up renting it.

SilverBerries

Message 2 of 5
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the informative post Silver, especially the part about owners never being able to sell it.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 1986 my parents bought the home that my father still lives in today.  The slope of the entire property goes down away from the road.  Therefore the driveway goes down from the road.  I can't say that it's 90 degrees, but there have been many people who feared driving down it. 

My father believes he will have difficulty selling because there is a problem with the septic.  I am unsure what the cause of the problem is, but when they originally purchased they house, they were told that a sewer system would be put in, which is the only reason why my father agreed to this.  

Additionally, in the 90's at some point my parents put in a meltaway system in the portion of the driveway that goes to the garage, it's a u shaped driveway with two entrances to the road.  This way the snow actually melts off the driveway and he doesn't have to worry about shovelling it. 

It is difficult to shovel the other portion, and mow the lawn, but no one has every had any problem with their car scraping the driveway, and we've had many different makes and models from large truck and SUV's to little cars to my aunt's cadillac gigantic car.  

Message 4 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i work on my own cars, own a boat and do other activities on my driveway.

i will never consider a home with that type of driveway..... i dont care how great it is.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.