cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Soon did you move to your new house?

tag
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

How Soon did you move to your new house?

IF your house was ready to move in. How soon did you move after the closing date?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Soon did you move to your new house?

We're hoping to close tomorrow (Thursday) and move in this weekend.
Message 2 of 21
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Can't answer past tense, but when we close.  I am immediately putting up a fence in the back for the dogs and we will move in the weekend following close.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

My house -- purchased without an agent from an acquaintance -- was vacated prior to close, so I'd actually moved a few boxes in between the approval to close and actual close (seperated by 3 days). I began moving possessions in earnest the next day after close, and spent my first night there less than 2 weeks later, moving the last of my possession at the end of my then-current rental month (4 weeks after close).

Message 4 of 21
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

I'm schedule to close on May 28th and I'm currently renting. I have to give a 30 days notice to my landlord and I would like to move in on the 29th. I'm afraid that I give the 30 days notice and for some reason the deal falls off. Then I won't have a place to live.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would (and actually i will be shortly) ask your landlord if something goes wrong in escrow if you could stay until the 15th of the following month.  that way you don't have to pay a full extra month, it should be prorated. Most are very understanding.  Some are real jerks.  It never hurts to ask.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@eddymvp wrote:
IF your house was ready to move in. How soon did you move after the closing date?

We closed 1/20/2009, took the keys immediately thereafter and spent the next night at the new house. We had the moving mayhem over that weekend (since DH needed to be home the entire time and coordinate -- my job was to get the loan, get everything packed, take care of transferring/setting up utilities, etc -- his was to oversee the moving).

The only reason we didn't spend closing night at the house was because the previous owner hadn't cleaned her carpet first. DH was too ooged out by the thought of sleeping in sleeping bags on an oogie carpet.

So from Wednesday to Friday, we camped out on the *newly* cleaned carpets while we waited for the movers to bring us our stuff.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@eddymvp wrote:

I'm schedule to close on May 28th and I'm currently renting. I have to give a 30 days notice to my landlord and I would like to move in on the 29th. I'm afraid that I give the 30 days notice and for some reason the deal falls off. Then I won't have a place to live.

Oh, we were terrified (if you haven't noticed, our credit's not stellar - we were 660s at the time - we had nightmares of the LO laughing in our faces and tearing up the HUD with an evil smile). So when we gave notice we let our LL know *why* we were moving and to please understand that it wasn't set in stone -- it could change.

As it was, we gave 30 days notice -- but gave ourselves 45 days to get everything done (which since we cleaned our apartment ourselves, we needed that cushion). And lemme tell you, they REALLY appreciated the 45 days notice (since that's more like what we gave them).

LLs, I think, appreciate notice -- even if it ends up being moved a bit. As ours told us, "better to get notice and have to work around it than have the tenants just skip out." Yannow?
Message 8 of 21
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

When would I know that my loan is approve and they won't be any problems at closing date?
Message 9 of 21
debc
New Contributor

i close tomorrow and i am still not sure.....
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.