Did you mean: 

How big a mortgage loan can I get??

tag
coachb123
Regular Contributor

How big a mortgage loan can I get??

Here is the pertinent information:

Income : $9500/month

Debts : $2241 (all credit cards and loans)

Credit Score 650

Interest Rate?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
awp317
Frequent Contributor

Re: How big a mortgage loan can I get??

Depends on a few more things. Not sure on interest rate but loan amount I may be able to help since im going through the same. 

Downpayment size. Putting any more down that minimum required? 

downpayment requirement (most conventional loans require atleast 20% down) 

DTI bank limits. Some banks have told me 25% others have told me 45% and then a lot have been at 30% or somewhere in between these. 

So your income is 9500 a month say a 45% DTI and you are putting 20% down. 45% of your salary is 4275 minus your current debt. That leaves you 2,234 dollars a month for a mortage. So say a 350k home, minus 70k down. Leaves you 280k mortage. with 1.25% property tax that comes to about 1800 a month. 

So I would say the most you will get approved for is 300k or so. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 2 of 7
coachb123
Regular Contributor

Conventional loan 20%???  Wow everybody I have spoken to said they can do conventional loans for 95% LTV with PMI

Down payment will be 5-10% at most.  DTI ratio 40-45%

Message 3 of 7
awp317
Frequent Contributor

oh intersting, I guess different banks require different things. I have been told minimum 20% down. But YMMV 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 4 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

95% is available almost everywhere.

do you know property tax rates in your area? <= affects dti

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 7
ReaLiLJ
Regular Contributor

@coachb123 wrote:

Conventional loan 20%???  Wow everybody I have spoken to said they can do conventional loans for 95% LTV with PMI

Down payment will be 5-10% at most.  DTI ratio 40-45%

+1 I was thinking of buying my home Nov 2014, by myself, and was given this information as well. Others on the street don't know the harsh realities of owning a home, like the myfico community does. They been through the worse of the worse, and knows how it is to be at that ultimate high. The difference what I am trying to explain is that they are going to give you reality. Idk too much about mortgages but I know that I got a reality check on here, and I am glad I did because I would have not known what I was getting myself into. I was given the same information as well, but I had no idea, about PMI, property tax, etc, and how that could drastically bring your buying power down, my down payment was right with that 5% conventional but I understand why everyone tells you to at least have 20% to avoid PMI, and to give you more buying power etc. But that's just my personal experience. I am officially rethinking my plan, but I think you should do some more research before considering the 5% down as the interest, PMI, property tax, etc (others will chime in) on how that will affect you in the long run, and the goods and bads of it. I know it sucks but I have heard its better to be comfortable in your new home, then "house poor"

20 Years & 1 Month Young; Total Income: $53k (Credit History): 1.9 years AAOA: 1.0 years
Fico Scores: Exp: 725 (12/4) EQ: 703 (11/13) TU: 736 (12/6) Total Credit Available: 89k
Wallet: AmEx Plat- NPSL | AmEx BCP $10.5K | BestBuy SC $10k | Duck Card $8k | BoFA CR Plat Plus Sig. $5k | Discover IT $6k | Chase Freedom Sig. $7k | CSP Sig. $5k | USBank Cash+ Sig. $5k | Barclays R MC $5k | Chevron Visa $5k | BR Visa $5k | Walmart Discover $4k | DCU Plat Visa $3k | QuickSilver CR $3k | Macy's Store CC/Macy's Amex $2.5k/$3k | BML $1.2k | Citi Divi Plat Visa $500
Open Loans: Sallie Mae SL: ($5.6k) (Def.) Car Loan (Red Devil FR-S): $20k/33k Remaining -Will Pay Off in 2yrs. Advice Welcomed!
Message 6 of 7
coachb123
Regular Contributor

These are only guesses but taxes $2500 and Insurance around $1200.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.