cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I sell a home with a modified loan?

tag
favre_2_free
New Contributor

How can I sell a home with a modified loan?

Long story short, in order to save my Grandma from an ARM 5 years ago, I cosigned a mortgage through CITI with her.  About a year ago, we ended up getting the Mortgage modfied.  CITI reduced the debt by around $50,000, although on our credit reports, it shows up as the full balance, our monthly statement reflects the lower balance.  At this point, selling still isn't an option because the home isn't even worth the reduced amount, but at the point where that happens, how would I go about selling the home with a modified mortgage?  Would I only owe a payoff on the lowered amount?

Amex Gold, Capital One VentureOne & Platium Cards, AAA BoA Signature Visa, Barclays Airtran & Frontier Airlines Cards, Paypal MC, Best Buy RewardZone Mastercard and Chase Speedway Mastercard....and I FINALLY Welcome to Discover...thank you and have a great day!!!!
EX: 667 (8/6 Amex App) - EQ 700 - TU 697
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: How can I sell a home with a modified loan?

----->  our monthly statement reflects the lower balance. ...

I am not a mortgage professional but I believe that your statement balance and payment are what you should go with, so assuming that you did find a buyer sometime in the future, you would be required to payoff the modified balance.

In terms of what tax consequences you might face, I would recommend doing some searching to see if Citi would be reporting the 50K to the IRS, you don't want to be suprised with a large tax bill.  Smiley Surprised

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 3
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: How can I sell a home with a modified loan?

Your going to need to pull out your paperwork and read the loan agreement.   I would also consult with a CPA for the tax implications.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.