Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you decide on a lender?

tag
lmh6
New Contributor

How did you decide on a lender?

I've been using this forum to help get me ready to apply for a mortgage. I'm now ready and would like to apply within the next day or so to see if I can get an preapproval. How do you decide on what lender to choose? Traditional bank? Broker? I bank with PNC and Chase and was thinking of applying with one of them. Any advise? My mortgage fico as of "just now" are EQ653/TU627/EX608. I have 2 collections on TU (one paid for delete that hasn't hit my report yet) & 2 collections on EX. No late payments in the last year. 3 credit cards, 2 student loans, 1 car note all with good payment history (car has 2 lates about 1 1/2 yr ago). Several really late charge offs that are over 5 years old
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

Re: How did you decide on a lender?

recommendation from a board member

forget the big banks

look for a mortgage banker

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

our realtor referred us to our lender and the experience was nothing short of AMAZING. My mid score was 580.

Not sure if this will let me post this, but we used Vinson Mortgage Services,  Jeff Hussey is the LO.

Message 3 of 8
DI
Super Contributor

If you apply for a mortgage with Chase, I can give you a contact to my LO.  She is absolutely the best!  

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have any realtor friends, ask them who you should use.  They refer people to the lenders they like and are good.  

If you don't have that, then you will need to do some research.  If you have a realtor that is not a buddy, they will refer  you as well.

Just be careful.  Lenders will say that they will "pay" your closing costs. But that is not the case.  They will credit you at closing, but raise your interest rates to cover the costs.  My lender showed me her screen of how it works and I respect someone that is upfront with me.

Message 5 of 8
lmh6
New Contributor

Thanks for the advice all. It gives me something to think about
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a realtor you trust, I would ask them for a referral. If you don't, some research and a few phone calls to get a feel for different lenders may be required.

I would recommend staying away from the big box banks and focusing your search on correspondent lenders (mortgage-only banks who use their own underwriters and funding). Although not the case 100% of the time, typically you will receive better service from a correspondent lender.

Message 7 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have a realtor you trust, I would ask them for a referral. If you don't, some research and a few phone calls to get a feel for different lenders may be required.

I would recommend staying away from the big box banks and focusing your search on correspondent lenders (mortgage-only banks who use their own underwriters and funding). Although not the case 100% of the time, typically you will receive better service from a correspondent lender.

+1  Agree with dpeezy Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.