cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you spend the first night in your new home?

tag
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

How did you spend the first night in your new home?

I ask this as I'm laying in the upstairs hallway, my chin resting on a folded up pillow and a sheet at my feet...

The kids are at daycare and it's just a little past midnight. I work crazy hours and figured that I'd go to the house and set up my recent thrift store finds that I collected in my trunk for this very night.

The house smells like fresh paint (I love it!), and the painters will be done tomorrow. Unfortunately, they turned the power off to almost every light and socket...

So, here I am, laying in the hallway next to where my washer and dryer will be in a few short days... my cell was dying and I needed an alarm to wake me up for work and it has the only working outlet besides the kitchen.

I can't sleep though... I just keep gazing around almost in tears trying to believe that it's all mine. A single mom of 3 kids making barely over minimum wage right now is a home owner...

Thank you again guys for cheering me on, making me stick it out the last 7 months, and letting me share my journey...

To the garden I go...
Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How did you spend the first night in your new home?

So happy for you.  Me?  Well we bought a new house last year.  Got the keys, went to the store and bought inflatable beds to sleep here that night.   Bought all new furniture, and haven't looked back.   We still own our old house too, still furnished and utilities on.  Need to have a big garage sale, sell everything out and sell the house.  That's my next project.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

not really sure . if it was the weekend I would definitely move a bed over there and sleep there for sure! it looks like it might be a thursday so mgiht have to wait acouple days but i will definitely be going over there and just hanging out for a bit!

Message 3 of 25
birjest
Frequent Contributor

We slept on the floor on the second floor.  Wife kept getting scare when ever she heard noise.  Glad to have blinds and ADT.

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 4 of 25
novabama
Frequent Contributor

Wow that is so awesome!!! It will probably be me next year. These boards and people are amazing! I am very happy for you. I have no doubt that I will be laying sitting or standing, probably all of them actually, on the first day/night when I finally buy a home. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! We can't wait to get out of our apartment, so we are borrowing a friends huge horse trailer and moving all at once! Dinner that night will probably be some sort of take out, and we will be sleeping on the floor Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 25
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

i am moving from my parents home, and hoping to buy my home in two weeks.  What i would do is sit in complete silence and read all night long!!!!!!

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 7 of 25
indecison
Regular Contributor

Sounds like a fun time to me! We closed on Friday of last week and I went to storage to grab 2 extra mattresses we have for a day bed and we slept on those for the night. Movers moved us on Saturday. We are still unpacking as well as hanging blinds. We are trying to take it slow so we do not overspend. Have fun with that new house of yours!!

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed 3 weeks ago walked in and said I did it lol
Message 9 of 25
germaine47
Frequent Contributor

Took me one week to get everything into the house.  I started with the kitchen stuff in my car and every day I would move something , until the movers helped me with the heavy stuff.  My sister came up and helped unpack and decorate thank God I didnt have to buy a lot of furniture.  First time moving and being able to sleep in a new location peacefully without being afraid.  Feels good to feel so content in my own bed.

YOU ROCK LONDON!!!!!!!

Fico September 2012; TU 681, EX 674, EQ 652
Fako October 2012: TU 706, EX 641,
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.