cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you spend the first night in your new home?

tag
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Re: How did you spend the first night in your new home?

Funny, but true...we slept in rafts in the pool.  The movers had truck problems, so our stuff was a day late.  It was during the summer (in AZ) and the house had been closed up for weeks with no air running, so it was sweltering hot and the AC was taking too long to cool it down.  We were going to go stay in a hotel, but we dedided to take a dip in the pool before leaving.  We ended up floating around in the pool on a couple of rafts we found in the pool shed, talking until late into the night and figured...meh...we might as well just sleep on our rafts and meet the movers in the morning.  It was a great night!

Message 11 of 25
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

First night; we had THREE friends from out of town stay with us... ugh.

It was planned like, almost a year in advance.

Little did we know the peices would fall into place on the new house the DAY they came... so we entertained our first night

It was okay; we got most of the furiniture and everything in, and the house was move in ready. But so much for having that personal moment.. although I do have that moment every night when I sit in this glorious office and work/comment forums Smiley Wink

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 12 of 25
MattieNumNums
Regular Contributor

re Re: How did you spend the first night in your new home?

We were very lucky and planned our move at the same time our lease was up. All the stars aligned! We spent our first night in our beds (with no window treatments!!!) Now on the other hand... we have no sink and counter tops!!!! Our kitchen reno is being held up by our backordered counter tops! The good news though! We made 75k in equity by renovating our house and we only put 20k into it!!!!! So far I love being a home owner. Never though the day would come!

Message 13 of 25
Elcid89
Contributor

Without going into specifics, 9 months or so later I had a son. Smiley Very Happy

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 14 of 25
creditisbetter2
Contributor

We closed around noon and by 12:02 I had stuff in my car and I began to unpack at the new house. I couldn't get everything in that day because we had painters in the house but we were there sleeping on the floor that night.  One of the best feelings in the world.

Message 15 of 25
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@LondonMassey wrote:
I ask this as I'm laying in the upstairs hallway, my chin resting on a folded up pillow and a sheet at my feet...

The kids are at daycare and it's just a little past midnight. I work crazy hours and figured that I'd go to the house and set up my recent thrift store finds that I collected in my trunk for this very night.

The house smells like fresh paint (I love it!), and the painters will be done tomorrow. Unfortunately, they turned the power off to almost every light and socket...

So, here I am, laying in the hallway next to where my washer and dryer will be in a few short days... my cell was dying and I needed an alarm to wake me up for work and it has the only working outlet besides the kitchen.

I can't sleep though... I just keep gazing around almost in tears trying to believe that it's all mine. A single mom of 3 kids making barely over minimum wage right now is a home owner...

Thank you again guys for cheering me on, making me stick it out the last 7 months, and letting me share my journey...

To the garden I go...

Congrats London! My husband and his friend moved all of our furniture out of storage while I was at work. Our bed frame was broken while we were in a rental house... so he just set up the king sized mattress on the floor until he could get some angle iron and 2×6 lumber and reconstruct our bed frame. Our first night in the new house was very x rated.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am newbie here, but really touched by your story. Among all the technical and traditional threads, unexpected questions, legal issues.... I find this post! Feeling of a home buyer, very pure. Congratulations on tis success.

Message 17 of 25
scmami
Regular Contributor

It looks like our closing will overlap with the end of our lease, so I plan on getting the air mattresses and spare comforters and having an awesome sleepover! I'm so excited for you London! I can't wait to post what we actually do :-)
Current FICOs (Sept 2015) EQ: 666 TU: 663
Message 18 of 25
Booner72
Senior Contributor

YO LONDON!!!!! I know what you mean about gazing around, I'm still marveling and it's been over a year.

We started hanging out on the back deck before the realtor would give us the keys (Waiting for the loan to get recorded). We were having so much fun she called, shocked, saying 'Why haven't you come to get these keys? I've been waiting for you!"

We slept that night on foam mattresses in the living room - me, husband, and the two boys, the rottweiler, and the pug. One of the best days of my life.

I wish you all the best in your new life, London.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 19 of 25
westo12
Established Contributor

I'm crying... Talk about such a feel good moment for you!! We sacrifice so much for our children, and they sacrifice a lot also.. When you don't make a lot to begin with, there is a lot of stress we put on ourselves to give them the best home we can. I don't know you, but you give me so much hope that with staying on this track I'm on, that I also will be successful as well in getting our first home. Thank you for posting such a beautiful and heartwarming entry here!! Smiley Happy
Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.