Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do lenders look at your fico scores for husband & wife

tag
getahead
Regular Contributor

How do lenders look at your fico scores for husband & wife

I'm new here & hoping to get information, we're planning on buying our first place by summer next year & are in the process of paying down our debts.  I'm wondering how does the lender determine your fico scores if it's husband & wife?  Do they look at it individually or do they combine it & come out with 1 score? Smiley Indifferent 

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690
Goal Score: 700 Club

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BobboZR2
Established Member

Re: How do lenders look at your fico scores for husband & wife

They look at both of your scores and it's the lowest middle score of the two of them that determines your rate. You could have stellar credit, but if your wife/husband has horrible credit then the bad credit is going to count. A way around this is for the spouse with the higher scores to apply for the mortgage by themselves; however, this may effect the amount of home you could afford because only that individual's income is counted in the consideration of the loan amount. 

Message 2 of 4
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Post above is spot on. Middle score of the lowest borrower. On the other hand, if you are going FHA, as long as the lowest middle score qualifies, it won't affect your rate since FHA rates are credit-score ignorant.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
getahead
Regular Contributor

Thank you to all, now I have some insight on how all this credit scoring will affect us in buying our first home.  My husband has good credit as for me it ok, but once I pay down my cc it will bump up for sure.  I have no derog's just high cc balances, thanks again.

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690
Goal Score: 700 Club

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.