cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do mortgages calculate annual income?

tag
savagetyler
Established Member

How do mortgages calculate annual income?

Thinking about a house to purchase but would like to know how do they calculate your income. If 2014 W2 I made less then half of my 2015 W2 what would they consider my income? Would it be the average of both years or would it be the current pay?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Mrsg714
Contributor

Re: How do mortgages calculate annual income?

Current pay since you're W2. I'm going through the process right now. I just received a raise that'll take effect in April, but we're able to use my new salary since it'll be before the closing date. FWIW, I made significantly less in 2014.
Message 2 of 8
savagetyler
Established Member

Thanks for the answer
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm self employed and two banks thus far have used the average of my 2014 & 2015 income.

I don't know if this is just because I'm self employed, or if some banks do this regardless of employment status. None of them have been interested in the fact that this year, my YTD income is on track to be higher than both 2014 & 2015.

Message 4 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm self employed and two banks thus far have used the average of my 2014 & 2015 income.

I don't know if this is just because I'm self employed, or if some banks do this regardless of employment status. None of them have been interested in the fact that this year, my YTD income is on track to be higher than both 2014 & 2015.

Yes, it is because you are self-employed.  Self-employed borrowers' income is averaged over 24 months.

w-2 type income is not averaged - current income is used. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

For W-2 employees, do they calculate what your earnings will be for the year based on your current pay stubs? My base salary is one rate, but I have a lot of differentials that get added for weekends & nights.
Message 6 of 8
Mrsg714
Contributor

As a W2 employee, my differentials weren't added in. It could be because I don't get on call pay very often. The average of my bonuses for the last two years were added in, but I had to show proof that I had been getting them two years at least and would continue to be eligible for them going forward.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always work weekends & nights. And my W-2s for 13, 14 & 15 have my total income which includes them. Plus my last pay stub for 2015 shows the breakdown.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.