cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do they determine median if 2 of 3 scores are identical?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do they determine median if 2 of 3 scores are identical?

So I just pulled my scores again today and I'm trying to figure out how my change in scores will be calculated for the mortgage application.

I was at:       692 EQ, 706 TU, 735 EX
Now I'm at:   696 EQ, 696 TU, 742 EX

Since 2 of my scores are idenitical, would they do a mean of the 3?  Just take the lowest score?  Take a certain percentage of the difference between the 2 lower and the higher one?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do they determine median if 2 of 3 scores are identical?

Well, I'm betting they go with the stinken 696, but I think they should go with the higher one! Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

696 is the new median score. If you had four scores, say 696, 696, 700 and 702, the median would be the average of 696 and 700, namely 698. But since there are only three scores, the one in the middle spot is, by definition, the median. Any idea what caused the 10 point drop, and how you could get it back?
Message 3 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

MisterTor wrote:
696 is the new median score. If you had four scores, say 696, 696, 700 and 702, the median would be the average<= wrong of 696 and 700, namely 698. But since there are only three scores, the one in the middle spot is, by definition, the median. Any idea what caused the 10 point drop, and how you could get it back?

if you have 4 scores.... then one bureau is 'split' and the lower of the two scores with that bureau will be considered.

696, 696, 742? real simple. throw out the highest and lowest(pick one) and the mid = 696

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dallas, I was just explaining how the arithmetic works, and intended to explain how the median would be determined in the case of an even number of scores, as opposed to the real-world odd number of scores.

So if there were four major CRAs that had FICO scores, and the two in the middle weren't identical, then the mean of those two scores would be the median.

(Notice the use of the subjunctive mood in a contrafactual conditional.) Smiley Wink

To quote John Forbes Kerry: "Would that it were!"

Anyway, OP, listen to what Dallas says about real-world mortgage stuff, because I've too often got my head in the clouds. I've admittedly gotten people confused with my hypothetical examples in the past.
Message 5 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

scores are never 'averaged'

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.