Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you calculate DTI ratios?????

tag
MizzB
Regular Contributor

How do you calculate DTI ratios?????

Just wondering, how do you calculate DTI ratios? What bills are included? Anything thats on credit file? Lastly when I see DTI ratios such as 29/41 what does that mean? I'm new to the mortgage/loan terminology and I'm trying to get an understanding of what it means. Thanks.

*********************************************************************************
Current Score (04/20/20): EQ:673; TU: 691; EX: 688 (FICO)
Starting Score (01/20/17): EQ:511 (FICO); TU: 521 (FAKO)
CapOne QS MC: $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $14.5K | OpenSky Visa: $500 | Green Dot MC $300 | Green Dot MC2: $300 | AMEX Gold CC: NPSL | AMEX Platinum CC: NPSL | Amex Gold Delta Skymiles: $3k | DiscoverIT Chrome: $5.6K
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you calculate DTI ratios?????

Debt to Income ratio is computed by determining your:

Front End Ratio - Your current MINIMUM monthly obligations without the new home - as they show on your credit report DIVIDED by your total monthly gross income

Back End Ratio - Your Front End Ratio obligations + whatever your new mortgage payment will be DIVIDED by your total monthly gross income

A DTI of, say, 29/41 means that the Front End Ratio is 29% and the Back End Ratio is 41%

Lenders have different requirements for DTI's ... and it all really depends on the lender AND your personal credit history / story.  I was able to get a loan with a Back End Ratio of 48%.

Message Edited by bubasti on 05-11-2009 01:48 PM
Message 2 of 3
MizzB
Regular Contributor

Re: How do you calculate DTI ratios?????

@Anonymous wrote:

Debt to Income ratio is computed by determining your:

Front End Ratio - Your current MINIMUM monthly obligations without the new home - as they show on your credit report DIVIDED by your total monthly gross income

Back End Ratio - Your Front End Ratio obligations + whatever your new mortgage payment will be DIVIDED by your total monthly gross income

A DTI of, say, 29/41 means that the Front End Ratio is 29% and the Back End Ratio is 41%

Lenders have different requirements for DTI's ... and it all really depends on the lender AND your personal credit history / story.  I was able to get a loan with a Back End Ratio of 48%.

Message Edited by bubasti on 05-11-2009 01:48 PM

Thanks -- this really helps. Smiley Very Happy I've been reading the post in this forum trying to increase my knowledge as I rebuild and prepare to apply for a mortgage and that was one of the areas I just wasn't clear on.

*********************************************************************************
Current Score (04/20/20): EQ:673; TU: 691; EX: 688 (FICO)
Starting Score (01/20/17): EQ:511 (FICO); TU: 521 (FAKO)
CapOne QS MC: $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $14.5K | OpenSky Visa: $500 | Green Dot MC $300 | Green Dot MC2: $300 | AMEX Gold CC: NPSL | AMEX Platinum CC: NPSL | Amex Gold Delta Skymiles: $3k | DiscoverIT Chrome: $5.6K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.