Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you pay your mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you pay your mortgage?

I still pay by check because sometimes I need the payment to get there on the 2nd (when my paychecks get goofy) instead of having it auto debit from my account on the 1st. 
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I close on Oct 7 (woo hoo). My bank (also my mortgage co) called me last Friday to see if I wanted to do automatic debit - they offered me $150 to try it, so I'm going to try it for a couple of months and see how it works out for me.
Message 12 of 18
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I close on Oct 7 (woo hoo). My bank (also my mortgage co) called me last Friday to see if I wanted to do automatic debit - they offered me $150 to try it, so I'm going to try it for a couple of months and see how it works out for me.

I like the auto debit feature quite a bit. It puts the responsibility of the transfer in the hands of the lender. No more worries about missed due dates or lost checks. I just have to make sure that there's enough money in the account to cover the payment.
Message 13 of 18
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow, do most allow credit card payments or just certain lenders? I was just thinking of the rewards one could get paying by credit card.. No mortgage yet, so no comment on your poll Smiley Happy

I emailed my lender (Bank of America) last night to ask if they accept credit card payment. They said that they accept Western Union payments, which accepts credit cards to pay for the money order. However, WU charges a fee and it's not clear whether money order purchases qualify for rewards (e.g. frequent flier miles or Upromise college savings).
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do a phone pay and use my checking acct., and get a confirmation # immediately.

They can save your info so that you don't have to carry the chbk around.

I used to pay thru the mail and the lender would always say it was late.
Then i started  sending the check certified and signed with return receipt. Then it
seemed not too be late.

Now I just make the phone call when I get paid, as long as its before the 16th.
Payroll is every 2 weeks and doesn't always come at the same time or a convenient time.
Phone pay works out for me for now.
Message 15 of 18
demi
Established Contributor

Auto debit, every two weeks to coincide with my paycheck...end up with an extra payment by the end of the year..My Checking and Mortgage are both Wells Fargo, but not sure it would be any harder if they were different.  They do not charge for the biweekly payment plan (I guess some banks do).

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

1.  Well, the best way to pay the mortgage loan is by credit card, especially if your credit card offers Rebates or Reward Points...

2.  The 2nd way to pay is auto-debiting from your bank account (Money Market Acct is better than Checking Acct, you can get Interest until the money gets out of the door).. 

3.  And normally the bank allow you to pay the mortgage loan payment until the 15th day of the month, so don't pay it too early, it will not affect your FICO score as long as you pay it before 15th day of that month...

4.  Save all of your money, it might take you to a fancy restaurant in the year end...(ha ha) 
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

In person with cash or a check. Not only do I get a dated receipt but the bank will also have a transaction record of it so no one can tell me it's late.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.