cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How far away from work can we buy a house?

tag
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

How far away from work can we buy a house?

Hi again!  My husband and I are still figuring out options for mortgage applications (probably not for at least another year, but going through the figuring it all out process now).  Wondering if anyone knows, do banks consider distance from employment when deciding whether to mortgage a house?  For instance, if we wanted to buy a house that was 1 1/2 hours from our current employer (with the actual intent of getting a new job close to the new home), would that go over?  What about even further distances?  Is this even something the bank gets involved with?  Or would it differ if you were talking about FHA or USDA - thought maybe they would be stricter about this. 

I guess maybe a clearer question is: How easy is it to buy a house in an area far from where you are currently living?  We don't want to have to move and have to rent again and wait an extra year on top of moving to buy a house.  Though I guess if we really wanted to move and that was the only option, we'd do that.  How does this situation work?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

Re: How far away from work can we buy a house?

Just bumping this, hoping for an answer!

Message 2 of 4
203bravo
Established Contributor

From my recent experience lenders do consider the distance from your employer that you are requesting to purchase.  The house that I purchased is about 1.5hrs from my current employer and the UWs were quick to pick up on that fact and required a written explanation.

Their concern would be that you are planning on changing jobs once moved and may not meet their UW requirements once changed.

Message 3 of 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@203bravo wrote:

From my recent experience lenders do consider the distance from your employer that you are requesting to purchase.  The house that I purchased is about 1.5hrs from my current employer and the UWs were quick to pick up on that fact and required a written explanation.

Their concern would be that you are planning on changing jobs once moved and may not meet their UW requirements once changed.

Yes - I was thinking about this and this is exactly what their concern would be.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.