cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How far out did you get your closing date?

tag
PdxGirl
Valued Member

How far out did you get your closing date?

How far out from closing did you get a closing date from your lender?

I'm freaking out - my realtor put on my purchase agreement that we would close by May 25.  Mortgage broker said it would be tight but should be fine.

I don't know if I've actually been to underwriting.  The mortgage broker submitted documents to the lender and told me I was conditionally approved after two days.  I sent in all requested additional documents.  That was weeks ago.  We have been waiting on appraisal and got that back yesterday.  We have been waiting on seller to finish requested repairs and those are done so we can re-inspect, scheduled for May 13.

I asked my mortgage broker yesterday if we are still able to close on May 25 (which is a holiday, so of course not).  He says "it should be fine". He says "provided appraisal is fine then lender should be ready to send package to USDA by the end of next week" (meaning the 15th).  USDA is taking about 10 days now for guaranteed loans.

"It should be fine" is not good enough for me!  I'm trying to schedule movers, schedule fence builder, need to give notice at my current rental, pack...

When did you all actually get a closing date?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How far out did you get your closing date?

Our USDA Direct closing was scheduled 2 months out. Ratified contract on 4/15 with a closing date of 6/15. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our offer letter, submitted 03/08 by our broker's agent, called out 04/15.

Our original commitment letter from our loan officer called out 04/02, which would have been tight, but doable, if we hadn't gone for the Energy Efficiency Mortgage and needed the extra time to get quotes from contractors. 

We ended up closing on 04/15.

Message 3 of 12
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

I would only give you this little bit of info to save you the drama that I am going through.... My closing date listed on contract is "Thur May14".... thats 4 "business" days away and 6 calendar days away and I STILL have NO a clear to close from my lender (Mortage Solutions of Colorado). There are some key words in your lender's statement ( "provided appraisal is fine")  My loan type is USDA Guaranteed and these appraisals must include "health and safety" considerations be listed in appraisal... long story short my appraisal listed a repair to the sheet vinyl in basement were condition of value... ( was immediately professionally repaired, however the SAME appraiser MUST come and verify and document repairs and complete and updated appraisal, he has been unavailable since repair)  I MUST be out of my current rental on 5-14 as new tenant takes posession the 15th.... I HAVE NOWHERE TO GO ! I padded my timeline (or so I thought) by two weeks as my loan officer told me that Apr30 was "not going to be an issue"...

In any event ,  I have found that saving the last half of rent or even a month is NOT worth the stress and anxiety of where I will house my wife and 12 week old baby Smiley Sad If I dide this again I absolutely would not give notice until after closing with keys in hand... just sayin'

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 4 of 12
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@PdxGirl wrote:

How far out from closing did you get a closing date from your lender?

I'm freaking out - my realtor put on my purchase agreement that we would close by May 25.  Mortgage broker said it would be tight but should be fine.

I don't know if I've actually been to underwriting.  The mortgage broker submitted documents to the lender and told me I was conditionally approved after two days.  I sent in all requested additional documents.  That was weeks ago.  We have been waiting on appraisal and got that back yesterday.  We have been waiting on seller to finish requested repairs and those are done so we can re-inspect, scheduled for May 13.

I asked my mortgage broker yesterday if we are still able to close on May 25 (which is a holiday, so of course not).  He says "it should be fine". He says "provided appraisal is fine then lender should be ready to send package to USDA by the end of next week" (meaning the 15th).  USDA is taking about 10 days now for guaranteed loans.

"It should be fine" is not good enough for me!  I'm trying to schedule movers, schedule fence builder, need to give notice at my current rental, pack...

When did you all actually get a closing date?

You can't do anything about the process/length of process time of financing a home. The lender controls just about everything. I work for a national builder and our buyers often don't receive confirmation of a closing date/time until a day or so before closing. That's just the way it works. The closing agent has to wait for the lender to deliver a complete financing document package before scheduling the actual closing.

Message 5 of 12
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

5 weeks after offer acceptance

Message 6 of 12
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Our builder put our close date in the contract....7 months out. Our builder was ready to close on the date in the contract. It was our lender who caused the delay.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 7 of 12
PdxGirl
Valued Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, especially Nuggets321...so sorry for you!  But it will all work out in time.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are still in underwriting at this time; but our appraisal is done and today my LO told me she expected us to close on our FHA loan sometime between June 16th (the soonest) and June 30th (what she felt would be the latest).

Message 9 of 12
BusyREBuilder
Established Member

We had a three week close from offer acceptance - but I already had pretty much everything in to my lender and had just gotten out of a contract on another house.

NavyFedSigVisa $8k/NavyFedRewardsMC $2k/Cap1QS $3.3k/Cap1MC $1.5k/Jared $3.9k/Amazon $4k/Lowes $5k/Walmart $4k/VS $1.5k/Buckle $1.2k/Express $1.2k/WW $1.2k/Overstock $850/JCrew $850/AnnT $500
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.