cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How helpful is it to shop around for a mortgage?

tag
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: How helpful is it to shop around for a mortgage?

@moneypenny02 wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

It's called an 80%-10%-10% which means an 80% first mortgage, 10% second mortgage and 10% down payment.

There are also some 90% first mortgages around, with smaller lenders, that don't have PMI.

Do you mind sharing who offers these 90/10 mortgages with no PMI?  (I am in the los angeles area, if that matters)

Nearly all lenders offer it, just ask if they offer a Single PMI premium in lieu of the regular monthly amount.  Then you can either pay the Single PMI premium out of pocket, or you can ask for them to pay for it in trade for a little higher interest rate.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 11 of 14
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

@lunch wrote:

@accidentalpancake wrote:

You also may want to consider asking about taking an 80% mortgage along with a second mortgage for the remainder to eliminate the need for PMI. That's how we've done ours. No effect on rate, and no PMI to pay, making the payment significantly less than if we did a traditional single mortgage. We do have a balloon on the second, at 15 years, however.

Interesting.  Never heard of that. Did you get the 80% and the second at the same time? 

Mine is an 80%-15%-5%. And yes, they both go through the process at the same time.

I've got a really awesome broker doing the deal, so it may or may not be more difficult than it has been in my situation.

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 12 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you're considering LPMI, make sure you consider how long you plan to be in the house.  With traditional mortage insurance, you're only going to pay it for so long until you get below a certain LTV.  With LPMI, you're taking a higher rate for the life of the loan.  So you could end up paying more money in the long run if you keep the house for a long time.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 14
tiredofwaiting
New Visitor

We are looking for a VA loan.  Some providers say they will take the lowest of the three scores, some say they will take the middle of the three scores for both me and my husband.  My question is, if you "shop around" will it not lower your FICO score to have several hard hits on your credit by doing so?

Thanks,

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.