cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after filing taxes do you have to wait to apply for mortgage???

tag
SupraTurbo2jz
Regular Contributor

How long after filing taxes do you have to wait to apply for mortgage???

Title says it all...was told to wait until I filed my taxes in jan/Feb before applying to show the increase in pay...about 4k and to show that Im not writing off mileage this year...but he didnt say how long after that to wait before I applied.

CH 7 BK discharged 05/15 goal scores 680 across the board
Current Score: TU 657 EQ 676 EX 657 FICO pull 03/20/17

photo cabelas 3700.jpg
 photo Disney siggy 5000.png photo SWP Premier 2500.png photo virgin america 2300.jpg photo lexus 2500.png photo toyota 2500.png photo kays1500.jpg photo hsn4000.png photo GoodSam 1000.png photo buckle 900.jpg photo af 250.png photo valero.jpg photo fingerhut.jpg
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
elleng81
Contributor

Re: How long after filing taxes do you have to wait to apply for mortgage???

I took a new job at the beginning of this year with a new company, similar role from my previous employer and the pay increase was significant ($28k increase). Not having a W-2 with this salary has not been an issue as my current paycheck stubs support the new raise ( I am currently in underwriting). I don't see why you have to wait?

Message 2 of 4
Christian123
New Contributor

I would agree with the other poster.  They look at your current paystubs and employment verification.

Starting Scores 3/10---EQ 495, TU 505
5/13- EQ 720, TU 722, EX 696(Lender Pull)
Gardening since 5/2013 until 3/2014
Closed on dream home- 12/17/13
Message 3 of 4
HouseBuyerGuy
Established Member

The other posters missed the significant portion of the question: having to show you are not writing off mileage.

I'm guessing this means you did write off mileage (as unreimbursed income) last year, and therefore it greatly reduced your "income" for that year. While they would likely accept your pay increase, you would have to wait to show your mileage. It also depends on who you are working with, but they usually average out two years worth of returns.

As far as how long you have to wait before you file your returns? I believe you have to wait until they are processed by the IRS. How quickly they get processed usually depends on if you have a refund coming. If you do have a refund due, they are usually processed first b/c the IRS does not want to pay interest. (I typically submit on Feb 1. and have my refund back within 2 weeks). If you OWE money, it might take months for them to process your return because they are sending all the payouts first. Given that more people get refunds than owe....

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 726
Goal Score: 760

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.