Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after paying collections can I apply

tag
lorenzj4
Established Member

How long after paying collections can I apply

I have a few 3-4 year old collects that are driving me nuts by posting 120 day lates. Im tired of fighting them and nothing seems to work. Since i will must likely have to pay them off anyway, I want to go ahead and take care of it now.  

My question is: If i pay them today (settlement) will I have to wait 12 months to apply for FHA,  since the current date will be updated? Or do they go off the DOFD?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
PresidentPatton
Contributor

Re: How long after paying collections can I apply

I would think if you can get them to PFD then you should be good to go now. I would never just PIF or pay a settlement without trying to do a PDF on anything! That is now that I have been learning so much on these boards!

Remember to get it in writing if you can get them to go for a PFD!

PresP
2/6/15: Credit Karma: 626
4/23/13: TU 615, EX 600, EQ 581
1/16/13: TU 585, EX 525, EQ 514
Goal: Purchase Second Home ASAP

Cards: Cap1 Secured - $300; Authorized User on Chase Card: $5500.
Message 2 of 5
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

I don't understand why you have to wait......

clarifying:

I have unpaid collections on my CR.  They are all old (like all at least two years old)...but still unpaid.  ....I think i have 4 total.  4k....1.4k...200 and 400.

I also have PR.  People threw the biggest fits over dispute comments on my collections...not the actual collection being there. 

Message 3 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

you dont have to wait

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Collection accounts are considered from the day the account is sent to collections, not the date of last activity.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.