cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should Underwriting really take?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long should Underwriting really take?

First- let me say that I absolutely understand that the industry is changing and standards are tightening (with good reason)- I understand that these changes do have an impact on the turnaround time for a mortgage loan.  With all that in mind; I feel I've been MORE then patient with my loan officer and am seriously frustrated at this point-

We originally applied online through the builders website (this is a builder's in-house lender) on Friday Oct 23rd.  Rec'd all disclosures and GFE on Tuesday Oct 27th.  I had everything- ALL required documentation per the checklist included back to loan officer on Friday Oct 30th- I actually paid about $17 to overnight it via UPS.  I called the LO to advise I had done so and asked him to call when he received it.  Friday came and went with no call.  I called him the following Monday and he then told me he "hadn't had a chance to look at it yet"..  Well, it would have been nice to KNOW that before I spent the money to overnight it to him (this after he told me to get it to him "asap")

Loooong story from then to now- suffice it to say that he has NEVER once proactively contacted me- I have had to be the one to reach out every single time.  And several of those times, when calling him, I would find out that they were waiting on something from us- some additional documetation or letter the UW wanted.  If I didn't call him to check status- I wonder WHEN he would have called to advise they needed something?  On top of that- every single time (and I'm not exaggerting here) - they requested documenation of anything- I had it to them withing ONE hour.  I always scan and email things and have all of our records, bank account info, etc online so have the ability to obtain and send things quickly. 

I am supremely frustrated as this point- anytime I call he says things like "we're getting close", or "boy the underwriters are really busy- working 14 hour days!", or some other non-informative comment.  I was last told on Monday that I had made it out of underwriting (again, not because he called ME, but I called him)- but that MN law requires a "second-level approval" so it was being sent for that.  I asked him approx how long that would take (again, he would never ever offer this type of info without being asked...) - he said on Monday around 4:00 that it should be "no more than 48 hours"... 

So- here I sit, on Friday morning- without a phone call or any contact from him.  I would appreciate ANYTHING- just saying "you know, I said it would be 48 hours, but it is taking longer, etc"...  I serioulsy have never had a worse customer svc experience in my life!   I feel I am stuck with this co though because they are offering incentives and completely covering closing costs.   What do you think?  Am I just stuck dealing with this?  Is this normal?  And, even with the more stringent standards, is this turnaround normal?  It is an FHA loan.

If you made it this far; thanks for "listening" and I would appreciate any feedback.  So So frustrating!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Regular Contributor

Re: How long should Underwriting really take?

When will your place be finished? Or has it already been built and you are simply just waiting to get through financing to close?

I'm sorry you are having such poor customer service with your LO. I've heard of others having that same experience with the builder's lenders due to the LO's not having to find customers but customers coming to them. I haven't had that same experience with my builder's LO. She has been prompt to return my phone calls and advises us each step of the the way.

Message 2 of 3
Homebuyer24
Valued Member

Re: How long should Underwriting really take?

I don't think it should take long.  I am not doing a builder's loan but one of the offers we submitted asked for full underwriting (not sure if that is different from the underwriting)--my lender is awesome and got it over pretty quick--not sure how long because I didn't know the seller's agent requested it--it was done between my agent and lender and I was sent a copy of it when it was done.  My LO has said she can close my loan in 2 weeks--and I believe her.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.