Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should this all take?

tag
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

How long should this all take?

If I have a preapproval, how long does it take from the time the seller accepts an offer, to the time the keys are handed to me (on average)?

I'm in a bind right now. I have the worst landlord ever. She's blaming me for everything that's gone wrong here. Now she's forcing us to sign a lease or move out. I received the voicemail about an hour ago, but I already applied for a mortgage on Wednesday. I haven't turned in any paperwork yet. And I haven't gotten a realtor yet. I wasn't expecting to have to move until we bought a house.

Anyway, what I'm afraid of is that if we have to move before finding a house, I have to apply for an apartment with a short-term lease. I'm almost certain that it will cause a hard inquiry on my credit report. How will that affect the mortgage application process?

I hate this place.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
smiths38
Regular Contributor

Re: How long should this all take?

I put in an offer on May 5th, and we closed on May 31st.

Starting Score: 553(EQ) 572 (TU) 586(EX) (EQ Complete Advantage)
Current Score: 572
Goal Score: 640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
206captain
Valued Member

There is technically no "minimum" amount of time it needs to take.  Assuming you can find a house quickly that will pass inspection (if your loan program requires it) and appraise well, it can happen fairly quickly.  Get a preapproval NOW and ask them to run it through preliminary UW so there aren't any surprises later.  The rest will be based on a lender that can close you quickly, and negotiating a shorter than normal time to close with the seller.  My advice would be looking to smaller local banks as their workload will probably be less than a Wells Fargo or Chase, and thus able to process your application much faster.

Message 3 of 6
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

@smiths38 wrote:

I put in an offer on May 5th, and we closed on May 31st.

Is the score in your siggy current? Congrats!

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 4 of 6
smiths38
Regular Contributor

No,my middle score was 674 with TU.

Starting Score: 553(EQ) 572 (TU) 586(EX) (EQ Complete Advantage)
Current Score: 572
Goal Score: 640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
miltown81
New Contributor

@Ravensfan2001 wrote:

If I have a preapproval, how long does it take from the time the seller accepts an offer, to the time the keys are handed to me (on average)?

I'm in a bind right now. I have the worst landlord ever. She's blaming me for everything that's gone wrong here. Now she's forcing us to sign a lease or move out. I received the voicemail about an hour ago, but I already applied for a mortgage on Wednesday. I haven't turned in any paperwork yet. And I haven't gotten a realtor yet. I wasn't expecting to have to move until we bought a house.

Anyway, what I'm afraid of is that if we have to move before finding a house, I have to apply for an apartment with a short-term lease. I'm almost certain that it will cause a hard inquiry on my credit report. How will that affect the mortgage application process?

I hate this place.

I'm in the same boat now except that my landlord is great. I love my apartment, really the best I've ever lived in. My back is to the wall right now with a new lease or 60 day notice. My file is in the preliminary underwriting process right now and I'm axiously waiting for a "go-ahead" so I can put an offer on a house and get the process going. I hope to have an answer by Monday. I would say the same as others and tell you to go get the pre-approval now!

Starting Score: 711
Current Score: 819
Goal Score: 820

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.