Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to keep mortgage docs?

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

How long to keep mortgage docs?

I am going through old papers.  Found an old Satisfaction of Lien docuemnt from a previous property.  (The property has since been sold.)  

How long should I hold on to old mortgage statements, letters of pay off, and satisfaction lien docs/letters?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: How long to keep mortgage docs?

Are you in a full disclosure type state where you can pull up the lien satisfaction from the public records?  If so, then you probably don't need to keep it.

You may want to speak to your CPA to see if there is an obligation for tax purposes to keep certain types of records. And if so will a scanned copy work just as well as the original recorded document. JMO. Note: I am no expert here at all. Getting rid of paperwork is hard for me - I always default to keeping records for a looonnnggg time - 10+ years. Smiley Surprised

Message 2 of 6
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

You can always scan and save the files ono your flashdrive and throw away the paper too.

Message 3 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I'd scan them and save on a thumb driver or some other physical electronic storage device. It costs next to nothing to keep them in electronic format so why trash them...

Message 4 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Thanks - that was kinda what I was looking for.

Scanning the docs it is!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can scan the documents and create a dropbox account and store them there. Before Dropbox, I was using my email to store important docs. Email to myself and store that email in the "important" folder.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.