cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How low is insulting or risky? All thoughts welcome!

tag
Hopingforamortgage
Contributor

How low is insulting or risky? All thoughts welcome!

So, we looked at a house and an acreage on Sunday and on Monday.

It's assessed value is $246K.  I checked comps.  There were three comparable-ish properties in the rural area.  Each sold for approximately $25K over assessed value.

However, two were in cute little rural "neighborhoods"  - you know where there is a group of homes in a country block.  The third was on 4 acres.  This one is alone and on a rock road, quite rural. 

It shows terribly.  The owner had a greek theme going and it is very out of date and think plastic chandeliers.  (My dd is going to love them.)  Something also died in the chimney.  At the open house on Sunday, the realtor couldn't get the lock to unlock.  We were there about 45 minutes of the 1.5 hour open house.  We saw no one else.  (2:00-3:30, we got there around 2:20 and left just around 3:00.)  It was a very cold but sunny day.

Listed in August for $269K

Dropped in October to $249K

Dropped last week to $225K

Realtor says seller is now going through a divorce (inherited the home initially) and is anxious to sell.  Thinks she'll sell for $200K.

This house doesn't show well due to the theme and a shocking amount of walls???  True.  But it has amazing bones.  The structure is fantastic.  It's brick.  It's built in 1992.  It needs a new furnace and a new water heater IMO, and it's on a rock road.

What it needs badly is updated and about six walls knocked out.

But once you did?  2100 square feet of great living space with a clean, comfortable, easily finishable basement.  Oh, and you'll have to dig the raccoon out of the chimney because ew, that's not pleasant. 

Here's the thing if the realtor that showed it to us on Monday (not her realtor) hadn't said he'd talked to the other realtor and said she'd probably go as low as $200K, we'd NEVER ask $200K.  It will probably appraise out at the $260-$270K range. 

Will we insult her by offering $200K?  Do we dare? 

We also want a new oven in there.  (But we're more than willing to finance the water heater because we want a heat pump and the furnace.)

Nervous.   This will be our first offer and I'm anxious.  To be honest, we would not want to lose this property - close commute, rural, lots of room to garden, great square footage.  I can handle not to my taste.  However, it doesn't look as though there is any competition either.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
J_G
Regular Contributor

Re: How low is insulting or risky? All thoughts welcome!

I low balled with my 1st offer. As long as no one else submitted a offer you should be ok. If I have to do it again I will do the same as long as I'm confident know one else submitted a offer. Good luck
7/1/13 - EQ = 593 TU = 578 EXP = 573 FICO
8/11/13 - EQ = 600 TU = 590 EXP = 603 FICO
10/1/13 - EQ = 611 TU = 689 EXP = 605 FICO
12/4/13 - EQ = 625 TU = 648 EXP = 604
Lender Pull 2/18/14 - EQ = 630 TU = 678 EXP = 594
Lender Pull 2/28/14 (EQ 640) (TU 660) (EX 655) Rapid re-score =)
9/30/14 - EQ = 660 TU = 710 EXP = 669
Message 2 of 3
coterotie
Established Contributor

Re: How low is insulting or risky? All thoughts welcome!

Are you pre-approved on financing or paying cash?  If you can offer a quick close without a lot of contingencies, I would go in at 190 to 195.  Give them 48 hours.  If they counter, don't walk the offer.  Give a highest and best at say 199 or 201, with a quick close and they put the money for the appliances or whatever in escrow.  Your key strength here is your abiity to get them out of their bad situation quickly.  If you need a loan, I would stay on the LO like white on rice to get the deal done with no hiccups.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.