Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many points lost on Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many points lost on Credit Score

How many points are lost on your credit score when applying for a mortgage. Although I know I will get denied a mortgage at this time ( becasue 2 year bk anniversary isn't until Sept) I would like to start the process and see what a mortage broker will see on my report... 

Is this worth the score drop?

I have pulled my score twice this year. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many points lost on Credit Score

My FICO 8 dropped like 5 points. If you know you're gonna get denied, just pull it yourself and see what the score is and go to annualcredit.com and get your full reports there as well.

Message 2 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

3 - 5 points is typical in my experience.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine reports were pulled 2 times the beginning of May by different mortgage brokers & I never lost any points at all.

Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine reports were pulled 2 times the beginning of May by different mortgage brokers & I never lost any points at all.

Grace period of 30 days for any mortgage inquiry.

Inquiries aren't counted linearly, you may have been lucky they weren't scored additionally, and your second one would've been de-duped.

I.e. from my abortive refinance from May 3rd, I took a 4 point drop on TU 08 anyway on Jun 3rd, and lost points on EQ FICO 8 and FICO 9 similarly, but not EQ FICO 5 which is one of the mortgage trifecta.

If you're playing in the middle tiers, I personally would rather spend the $60 at MF than take a penalty potentially, not worth falling out of a tier just to see where you are as that's way way more expensive... same theory as having insurance for anything really.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.