Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much can I REALLY afford?

tag
n0smirc
Regular Contributor

Re: How much can I REALLY afford?

I hope you don't mind if I reply here. November 2012 I pulled my scores and was in the sub 500 area. Incredibly terrible. Since then I paid off all my old, delinquent debt, in full. Negotiated goodwill deletions on some collections, and opened up three new tradelines. I got barclaycard, Wal-Mart and old navy. I have paid all my accounts current and my barclaycard is the only card I let post a balance. ($15 currently). So my util is pretty low but optimized for scoring.

My former sub 500 scores are now mortgage worthy and I'm buying a house! Just recently approved through underwriting and I have tu & ex in the 690's! Equifax is lagging a little behind but I think it's because an old, good Citibank account is missing for some reason. It's completely possible to pull up your scores, you just gotta work hard at it.
Message 11 of 13
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

At 110k a year I wouldnt go over 400k for a mortgage. I earn a bit more then that and my mortgage was 275k. Sometimes I feel its a stretch but I do have 3 kids. And 2 car payments lol.

Message 12 of 13
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Depends also on lifestyle.  We were approved for 550 and spent 300.  We travel a lot, so this is what I was comfortable with.  $110k sounds like a lot,but things can still be tight to spend more than 300.  What area of country are you in?

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.