Established Member
Akosua

How much can I afford?

I'm interested in purchasing a home in the next year or so. My current income is $87,000 salaried. I've had the same job for 7 years. My current debts are a car loan for $750 , student loans with a monthly payment of $200 and credit cards with a monthly minimum of about $150. I will pay off 2 out 3 cards before actually applying which will bring my monthly cc payments to about $80.  I plan to put about 5% down, which i'm actively saving for. The house we are interested in building will cost about $310,000 and the builder will throw in 4K towards closing cost if we go with his preffered lender.  Also there's a $600 yearly HOA fee associated with the neighborhood and taxes in that area is 1.1% of your purchase price. My husband currently make 35,000/year with no debt but he has no credit history since he just moved to this country and his SS# was issued less than a year ago but we file our taxes as jointly so can his income be factored in.

Chase Freedom-3.5K, NY MCU- 500, Chase Sapphire Preferred- 5.7K, Discover IT- 2K, AMEX BCE-6K, Citi simplicity- 7K
Scores: Equifax SW- 719 (Nov 2013)

Senior Contributor
fishbjc

Re: How much can I afford?

I doubt that your husbands income will be allowed.  My husband had to show TWO YEARS when he switched from salary to commission.

That car payment will probably hurt you.  I doubt that you will be able to spend more than $275k.  Hopefully one of the loan gurus will chime in to help you out.

Valued Contributor
tooleman694

Re: How much can I afford?

Yup I think you are at the top end of what you can get, but looks good. You should be able to do it with your income only.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}