Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much can I realistically afford?

tag
CleanCredit
Contributor

How much can I realistically afford?

Hi guys, I am thinking of buying a home in the next 1-2 years and am looking for advice on what you think I can realistically afford.

A little about me:

24 years old

$60K income (Financial Analyst) - First job out of college

Car payment $425 with 24 months remaining

Student loan payment $440 on standard 10 year repayment plan ($38K total)

Fico scores were between 750-770 last time I checked back in November across all three boards

House savings - $15K

I am currently paying about $1k in rent and still am able to put away about $800 each month after all expenses (groceries, insurance, gas, etc).  I am really tired of paying rent every month and it pains me to think I could have a mortgage for roughly the same amount.

Realistically, if I continue to save for another year I could have around $25K in savings for the house.  Given my circumstances, what would be a reasonable house price to go for? In my area, $200K would get you a pretty average 2-3 bedroom in okay neighborhoods.

In all honesty, I would love to buy a house now but I know I can't afford it yet and need to continue to save.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much can I realistically afford?

Message 2 of 9
CleanCredit
Contributor

Thanks, that's helpful!

Message 3 of 9
jhtrico1850
Regular Contributor

Just make sure it's a house you really like, and you're not getting one so you stop paying rent. Renting has lots of advantages (instant landlord maintenance, flexibiility, etc.).

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Realistically 25% of your net income is a good basic safe number. Your level of financial risk acceptance will be different from anyone responding. Also what you plan to do in life beside paying a mortgage also matters. We like to vacation so a big part of our discretionary income goes toward seeing the world. Our kids play expensive sports so that was considered as well. Also consider what your home will be used for, entertaining? Hanging out? Retreat from the world. All of those things will help you figure out the ideal size which also dictates price.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fire has great advice - really think about what else you would like - dont get so wrapped up in owning a home that you let other things you want/enjoy get lost in the shuffle.  Dont over extend yourself.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Fire has great advice - really think about what else you would like - dont get so wrapped up in owning a home that you let other things you want/enjoy get lost in the shuffle.  Dont over extend yourself.

Agreed! I can 'afford' a home up to 600k, but I know my life and my own personal number is half of that. Do your budget for monthly spending and bills and figure out where you'd like your payment to be to maintain that. That'll give you the right answer.

Message 7 of 9
CleanCredit
Contributor

All, thank you for the replies.  At this point, I think I need to continue to rent until I have a bigger savings and some more debt paid off.  Realistically, I'd like to have my car paid off and I think I should be able to get that paid off this year.  That will eliminate one big monthly bill that I can allocate towards a house.

Thanks again!

Message 8 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@CleanCredit wrote:

All, thank you for the replies.  At this point, I think I need to continue to rent until I have a bigger savings and some more debt paid off.  Realistically, I'd like to have my car paid off and I think I should be able to get that paid off this year.  That will eliminate one big monthly bill that I can allocate towards a house.

Thanks again!

Be aware that when you pay off your auto loan, you will get a significant score drop if it is the only open installment loan you have when you apply.

I mention that because I lost a huge number of points (32 on one CRB, 17 on another and 7 on the 3rd).  That can make a difference in your qualifications.  I would concentrate on paying down revolving debt to get it to your optimum level and apply before you pay off your auto loan.  JMO based on my personal experience (and others on this board).  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.