Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much can a seller contribute?

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

How much can a seller contribute?

I'm planning to buy a house in 2013 and would ike to know for a conventional loan (5%) down, much much can the seller contribute towards closing cost?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Re: How much can a seller contribute?

It depends. You can ask for all of the closing costs, a certain amount, or you can ask for nothing. I really wanted my house and the seller was strapped for cash (despite having a lavish wedding), so I didn't ask for anything. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 2 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

For my last house, the seller was generous. But in this market where a lot of people want to sell their house, I just have to find a motivated seller.

I have heard that on a lot of short sale, the bank is generous. But I was wonderign if there was a max % that the seller could give

Message 3 of 8
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I'm not sure if there is a max percentage. Maybe someone else out there has a bit more expertise than I do. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 4 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

Shane ?? Dallas??

Message 5 of 8
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Shane ?? Dallas??

There have been restrictions as to how much a seller can pay towards closing cost. I am unsure how they determine the value. With that said I also know there are ways to apply the money for minimal cost to you.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 6 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

On a conventional loan the max percentage is 3% of purchase price for seller contribution toward buyers' closing costs and pre-paid expenses.

For FHA loans the max percentage is 6% of purchase price.

For short sales the max percentage is 3% and not all short sale lenders will even allow a seller contribution.

Message 7 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

On a conventional loan the max percentage is 3% of purchase price for seller contribution toward buyers' closing costs and pre-paid expenses.

For FHA loans the max percentage is 6% of purchase price.

For short sales the max percentage is 3% and not all short sale lenders will even allow a seller contribution.

Great thanks for the info

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.