Super Contributor

How much can a seller contribute?

I'm planning to buy a house in 2013 and would ike to know for a conventional loan (5%) down, much much can the seller contribute towards closing cost?

Established Contributor

Re: How much can a seller contribute?

It depends. You can ask for all of the closing costs, a certain amount, or you can ask for nothing. I really wanted my house and the seller was strapped for cash (despite having a lavish wedding), so I didn't ask for anything. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Super Contributor

For my last house, the seller was generous. But in this market where a lot of people want to sell their house, I just have to find a motivated seller.

I have heard that on a lot of short sale, the bank is generous. But I was wonderign if there was a max % that the seller could give

Established Contributor

I'm not sure if there is a max percentage. Maybe someone else out there has a bit more expertise than I do. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Super Contributor

Shane ?? Dallas??

Valued Contributor

CS800 wrote:

Shane ?? Dallas??

There have been restrictions as to how much a seller can pay towards closing cost. I am unsure how they determine the value. With that said I also know there are ways to apply the money for minimal cost to you.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Community Leader
Super Contributor

On a conventional loan the max percentage is 3% of purchase price for seller contribution toward buyers' closing costs and pre-paid expenses.

For FHA loans the max percentage is 6% of purchase price.

For short sales the max percentage is 3% and not all short sale lenders will even allow a seller contribution.

Super Contributor

StartingOver10 wrote:

On a conventional loan the max percentage is 3% of purchase price for seller contribution toward buyers' closing costs and pre-paid expenses.

For FHA loans the max percentage is 6% of purchase price.

For short sales the max percentage is 3% and not all short sale lenders will even allow a seller contribution.

Great thanks for the info

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.